Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm an idiot and I need help - Paint problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm an idiot and I need help - Paint problem.

Last week I painted my Model 88 with a hot rod flame graphic, and I did a killer job if I say so myself. However, I am an idiot and didn't mask the post holes for the JT6 and now I can't get the trem to mount because I painted over the post holes. The trem posts are all the way down in the holes and I can't get them out.

Any ideas on how I can get this corrected? I've cut away the paint around the holes, but I don't know what type of tool to use to unscrew the posts from holes. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

If anyone has made this same stupid mistake and can help it would be appreciated. I will post pics of my awesome paint skills when this gets fixed. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Re: I\'m an idiot and I need help - Paint problem.

Okay, I'm a bit confused. The post inserts are obviously still in the wood, but the actual trem posts aren't, right? In this case, just get a tap and die set and clean out the threads in the inserts (gently!).
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Or if you meant that you managed to screw the posts in with the paint and now they're stuck in there, grab a pair of vise-grips to unscrew them.

Comment

It sounds like the posts are in there if I'm understanding it right. If you painted with lacquer (spray can), it's probably not fully hardened & you should be able to carefully scrape the paint out of the tops of the posts with a small screwdriver or pen knife, making sure not to round off the corners of the hex. Then uncrew them with the correct allen wrench (3mm, I think). I think you'll be able to scrape the paint off of them pretty easily once they're out. If not, you should be able to clean them up completely with some lacquer thinner & elbow grease. If you can't get them cleaned out enough to get the wrench in, then you may need to use the vise grips, which might chew the posts up a bit. Good luck & post pics of the paint job!

Comment

I'd like to see a close-up of the problem. Pic?

Comment

Correction to my post: JT-6 posts take a 4mm Allen wrench.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I painted this guitar in a state of the art downdraft auto painting booth at one of our dealerships. I may have gone overboard with the clear(10 coats)but I'm happy with the end result, especially considering it was my first attempt - mid 80's rattle can experiments not withstanding.
              The vise grip/allen wrench solution worked and I appreciate all the replies. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

I'll post pics when I have finished the level & crown on the frets.
              Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Working...
              X