Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Body Finished: Need Help (pics)

It was all going too well to be true.

The body is buffed, reassembled, and wired. Rust removed from pups... in fact, the only giveaway that this wasn't a case queen is the rust on the pickup screws and ring screws. And I never wanted it to look new, just better.

Here ya go, I'll try to take some better ones in the sun tomorrow:

Now, the bad news - the neck.

It always was the worst part: small chunk of fingerboard missing between frets 1 and 2 on high e side, broken and glued part of headstock that holds the low e tuner in place, chunks missing from the tip of the headstock that would make several nice toothpicks (a dozen or so, even?)... you get the point.

So I was sad to have to put it back on this now-prettier body.

Then a minute ago, while gently placing the neck in the pocket, a chunk of fingerboard (low e corner, just past fret 24 - you know, the overhang part) fell off. It must have taken a hit during the past ___ months that these pieces have been on (or near) the bench.

I thought about boohooing, then it dawned on me that the neck looked like crap anyway.

Currently, the parts are clamped down so the glue can dry, but I don't care much if it doesn't take.

I really did NOT want to spend any more on this project. But I think I'll be posting in the classifieds for an import 24 fret neck. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: Kelly Body Finished: Need Help (pics)

Is this the one I almost bought?? man you are making progress..

Comment

Yeah, this is it. Lemmie take some shots in the sun! And when it gets a better neck, hold on - you'll pay me to kick you! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

J/K, bro - you know I'm going to give you a hard time about it no matter what... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Keith

Comment

I think you did a great job [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] & it'll be well worth it to put a nice neck on it. It might not make the most sense financially, but that's not always the point.

Comment

Keith, its SIS [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          But yes, this will be my "one that got away"...due to my stupidity [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

A thousand apologies, gjb - just a wrong assumption. I'd be happy to be your bro, if it is okay that you're my sis! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Of course it wasn't the one that got away, it just wasn't ready when you needed it! (And you still got a better guitar!)

Pics coming...

Comment

The only new parts are a) the three way toggle, and b) two string lock-block thingys in the licensed floyd.

As you admire the shine on the (guitar) body, note the reflection of my pasty knees... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Will tweak the setup, but I'm glad this one is done.

Keith

p.s. I glued the piece back on the neck.

Comment

Holy shinola! Great job, Keith. Sorry about the neck probs...but I can't even notice where anything was glued back together in the last pic.

It's so shiny, I almost thought your knees were a graphic! The oh-so-rare and much-coveted Dan Lawrence Pile O' Knees graphic!

Comment

Great job Keith. And yes, you can be my bro [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It really does look great.

Comment

Keith,

Most excellente! What a killer job you have done!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    You starting a business or what? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    The neck that's on there in those last pictures... that's the messed up neck?

Em

Comment

<font color="aqua">Beautiful job Keith! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Love the knees bro! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        that's the messed up neck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, all.

Yes, it is. I was able to glue the piece back on, and it has withstood my pressure test: far greater pressure than should be encountered under 'normal' use.

You can still see the other defects in the pic of the headstock: see the piece of fretboard missing under high e between 1 and 2? Plus, there are chunks missing from the edge underneath the "Jackson" and the pointy...

Played it about 1/2 hour yesterday... gonna tweak it and play it some more tonight. Then you can find it in the Classifieds...

Thanks again, everybody!

Keith

p.s. Clear pics of my knees are available for purchase at www.pastywhitethirtysomethingguy.com!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

p.s. Clear pics of my knees are available for purchase at www.pastywhitethirtysomethingguy.com!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Damn tease......... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
                          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Dave, that is flattering, in a slightly disturbing sort of way...

Comment

dammit I can't get the link to work [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X