I FINALLY did my Fusion setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I FINALLY did my Fusion setup

I finally got around to setting up and repairing the Fusion over the weekend. I have to say that the difference is night and day. This guitar is now the guitar that I wanted it to be when I bought it.

1. Truss Rod - See my post from Friday night entitled "%^%&*^ truss rods!" [img]/images/graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] Good grief. They don't mean for this to be easy, do they? I wound up sliding a 7mm socket into the truss rod recess and over the nut, then turning the socket with a flathead screwdriver. When all was said and done, I went about 3/4 to 1 full turn because there was a bit too much bow before.

Note to Self: Get a truss rod toolkit.

2. Blocked the JT580 - The only tedious part here was actually sawing and filing the wood block. It took a much smaller piece of wood than I would have thought it would. [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] I glued it into place with Elmers. I'm not worried about it being too permanent, since it's actually glued to the body paint in the trem cavity.

Much better tuning stability and I at least imagine that there's more sustain.

3. Re-glued the trem post inserts - $1.79 at Wal-Mart for dual-tube epoxy that you mix together. Worth every penny. Now I can actually TADA! raise and lower the trem by turning the posts. This is the only Floyded guitar where I've ever seen this problem.

Overall, this guitar went from being about a "7" on the playability scale to a "10," and I don't give those out easily.
    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: I FINALLY did my Fusion setup

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Good times!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Glad to hear it all worked out for you and the fusion.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I forgot one:

4. Set Intonation - Only one string was off, the 3rd (G) string, and it made the entire guitar sound a bit crappy. It was set a bit too short. I adjusted it strictly by ear and got lucky the first time I moved it back.
        [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Is it just me, or is the "G" string the most temperamental of all the strings as far as intonation? After I tune a guitar, I usually strum a few chords and pick out the notes individually which sound a little "off" to tweak them and 99 times out of a hundred it is the plain G string on an electric. What's up wit dat?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Is it just me, or is the "G" string the most temperamental of all the strings as far as intonation? After I tune a guitar, I usually strum a few chords and pick out the notes individually which sound a little "off" to tweak them and 99 times out of a hundred it is the plain G string on an electric. What's up wit dat?

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience has been the same. I've always suspected that it's because the 3rd string is sort of "in between" the others in size. It wants to be one of the larger, wound strings, but also one of the smaller unwound ones. I know that makes no sense, but I guess it's a bit large to be an unwound string.

Translation: I have no clue!
            [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Same here. If I do have problems..it's with the G...happened just last night.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Same here. If I do have problems..it's with the G...happened just last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

The g string usually is outta whack on guitars cos of the equal temperament issue. This is actually what is addressed by the Buzz Feiten tuning method and the Earvana nut. Here's a diddy by the latter:
                http://www.earvana.com/faqs.html
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

G and the B are worst to me... drives me nuts trying to get all my chords sounding in tune. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X