5-way switch on two pickups??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-way switch on two pickups??

hey fellas, my Ibanez has a HSH config, I've got active EMG's in it and the stock Ibanez single coil still in, so I've been thinking of removing it and slipping the 9v battery in it's place and just cover it up with tape for easier access when replacing...tired of having to remove the entire pickguard to change the battery!!
    Now, would the 5-way switch act as a 3-way if I just cut the wires to the middle pickup (SC) ?? Or would I have to replace it with a 3-way to make it work?

thanks,

- Rune.

Re: 5-way switch on two pickups??

This would be kind of cool...

bridge hum, bridge hum tapped, bridge/neck tapped but hum cancelling, neck tapped, neck hum.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

If you just cut the wire from the middle pickup to the switch, then you'd have a 5-way that did neck-neck-off-bridge-bridge, you wouldn't have a position that combined the neck and bridge. If you unsoldered the neck pickup wire from the switch and moved it to the spot that the middle pickup is soldered to on the switch (remove the middle wire from the switch naturally), you'd have off-neck-neck-both-bridge, so the last three positions would act like a 3-way. That's a cheap way, but if you have to switch fast between neck and bridge, it gets awkward trying to hit that middle position fast, and it would be better to change over to a 3-way switch.

Comment

lemme figure it out again, but i had to run jumpers to make it work on the last wiring job i did. when it's done it's bridge, bridge, both, neck, neck.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

update: mountaindog was correct, I cut the single coil wire and removed the pickup, the switch is now like this: N/N/off/B/B

Comment

Working...
          X