My refinished Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My refinished Rhoads

Through neck USA Rhoads, Serial number RR 1050.

Bought this guitar as an unplayable wreck...
    I paid $600 Aussie dollars, which is equal to around $320 USD.

This is what i did:
    1)Some parts were missing from the Kahler trem, so i bought a semi complete unit from ebay, and made a good complete unit.
    2) The neck was snapped at the headstock. This was fixed, although there is a slightly noticable hair line (from the glue) as "evidence". The binding had split on the top of the headstock, but not at the bottom. Unbelievably, the headstock face was not cracked or split... this actually held the two parts together.
    3) The back was chewed out, the previous owners had obviously worn big belt buckles.
    4) Frets worn at second and third position, on B and small E string.
    5) When plugged in it would make so sound.

So, i fixed the cracked neck first, and got that as perfect as possible. I did not try to hide the fact it has been repaired, eg: the guitar was refinished in a clear green and red sunburst. The binding on the headstock was split, but i did not replace it. There is a hairline glue line left.
    Once the neck was finished, i started on the back. I moistened the maple and poplar, and used a clothes iron and heat gun to make the moisture "steam". This steam pushed the wood fibre back out. I took about four hours total over roughly a month to get the timber back into shape. I then stripped the entir guitar back to raw wood. My initial idea was to clear coat the guitar to leave the natural colour showing (was originally black), but the poplar wings were a greyish greeny colour, and didnt match the maple neck through.
    I got out my blue and red stains, and mixed them with some nitrocellulose lacquer to apply the sunburst. The blue stain on the greenish poplar turned out a nice dark green. After i got the colour just right, i applied about fifteen coats of nitroc, with a rub back every second coat. I then left it for four months before cutting back and buffing.
    I stripped the anodised black finish of the control panel/pick guard, and buffed the alloy to a chrome like finish. It took hours to get that damn anodising off!!
    As i mentione before, i made one good tremelo out of two crappy ones, and refitted that.
    I redid all the solder joints, keeping the original wire, caps and pots, and the guitar still wouldnt work. In the end it was a corroded jack that caused all the problems with the electrics.

All in all, it was a great project, although i may return it to the original finish (Black) later on.

Its certainly my favourite guitar, others are Les Paul custom (white), BC Rich set neck custom-made warlock, Jackson bolt on Rhoads (import).

^^^^ Hard to see the colours in this shot^^^

^^^ Repaired crack is almost invisible (is invisible in the photo!)^^^

^^^ Notice the binding crack?? I chose not to replace the binding. Glue line on neck crack is invisible in photos ^^^

^^^ There is a chip (front when the previous owner bashed it around) that didnt damage the binding, but did damage the bottom section of the "U" in "USA". I am spewin about this!! ^^^

^^^ Looks shiny huh?? ^^^

^^^ Look at the reflection. Notice how there are no longer an dings or dents?? All steamed out!! ^^^
    --
    Regards,
    Perry

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Re: My refinished Rhoads

^^^ RR 1050, January 1985 ^^^

^^^ The case, i made this myself, and the day it was finished i got it signed by my second favorite band, ANTHRAX!! A couple years later, it was signed by OZZY, Zakk, Mike Inez and Randy Castillo. Excellent!! ^^^

The inside of the case. I actually made this case to suit a bolt on neck Rhoads Import. It was a perfect fit for the USA.

Hope you like it, i LOVE it!!
    --
    Regards,
    Perry

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Comment

that looks pretty cool dude! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] love the case

Comment

really nice.....except the pickguard..
        and yes the case is awsome [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, that was a lot of work! I applaud your effort! I have an early green Rhoads also, click my name for the pic

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Another Aussie, cool!!

And what a great job on the Rhoads, you do good work!! How long ago did you do this? And you made your own case, very cool!

Vic

Comment

Thanks Guys!!

I completed the whole project about 18 months ago, but it took close on 8 months from start to finish. I was a little worried about the pickguard colour, but it has really grown on me now.

I was originally going to re-rout the body to suit a Floyd Rose trem, but im glad i didnt now. The BC Rich i own was in just as bad condition, the set neck had come loose, and the finish (hot pink) was all stuffed. I refinished that one if a lime green/orange/purple splotch finish. I think it looks cool.

As for the case, that took me a day to make including lacquering (2 pack satin), lining the inside with foam and "fur", and making the compartments. I got more comments from the roadies than the band members when it was signed. One of the Anthrax roadies ask for my contact details, but i never heard from him.

Ive just started making my first guitar, a PRS inspired set neck, with pearl vine inlay and a curly maple top with a "mega deep" carve (twice that of gibson/PRS). After that, i'll be starting a Jackson inspired Rhoads/Dinky combonation, back half Rhoads, front half Dinky.

[ January 04, 2003, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: rhoads56 ]
              --
              Regards,
              Perry

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Comment

That looks amazing....that is one beautiful rhoads, and i love the pickguard...damn man...Where abouts in Australia do you live? if you find any other wrecked rhoads', give me a shout, ill pay you to do a job like that.
                Cheers

Comment

If you quit blowing ALL your $$$ on guitars, you could afford some sheets for your bed. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                  Just a thought. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Forgot to say it looks great.

[ January 04, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: A.Pulverizer ]

Comment

Awesome finishes on both the Rhoads and the Warlock. DO NOT change the Rhoads back to a black scheme... this red-and-green one is fantastic!

Good job!!!

Comment

Wow, great job!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great to see! I am a full time luthier, and never have finished a Jackson before. I just bought an early Rhoads from this site that need a complete refin and a early Ontario Fusion in similar condition. I now have to figure out if I am going to restore Rhoads back to stock baby blue, or do another color.

Comment

Hey Jim, do you have a website with some photos of your work??
                          --
                          Regards,
                          Perry

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Comment

Im in Perth Alexi7, you?
                            This was the first used USA i had seen that was under $2500 AUD (i paid $600 AUD). The original case is absolutely stuffed... none of the catches work, and a larger section has been broken off (you can see into the case).

As for doing a refinish, id love to do one. Im just getting into building custom guitars, and hope to make it a new career. I used to dream of working for Jackson in their custom shop, but i doubt they'd be interested in relocating to Australia!!

Here are some shots of a BC Rich Warlock i converted to set neck and refinished. Some other mods also, if you look carefully enough.
                            BC Rich Warlock

[ January 04, 2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: rhoads56 ]
                            --
                            Regards,
                            Perry

www.ormsbyguitars.com

Comment

That's incredible work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X