What is a Dimarzio Super 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Dimarzio Super 3?

My PC-1 has a Super 3 in the bridge; stock pickup. A friend wants to put one in his Les Paul. I can't find it on Dimarzio's site. Does anyone know much about this model from Dimarzio and if it's regualrly available? Thanks.
    Tom

Re: What is a Dimarzio Super 3?

the super2 & super3 are both slight variations of the super distortion.
    & yes i do believe its still available

Comment

I ordered my Custom Shop arch top with one in the bridge. Can't wait to get that one. I decided based on how it sounded in the PC-1's that I have heard.
      "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Any pickup DiMarzio has ever made can still be made, even if it's not listed in their paper or online catalog.
        Here's the specs according to my old catalog:
        Super 3 (bass, middle, treble) 5, 8, 6. Output in millivolts, 435.
        Super 2 (8, 6, 4) Output, 425.
        Super D (6, 8, 8) Output, 425.
        While I've never tried a Super 3, I love the Super 2 in the neck with either a Super D or X2N in the bridge. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Super III has been a favorite of mine since I tried a Fender HM way back in '89. I had one in another Les Paul copy and it sounded pretty sweet in the bridge.

Comment

I ordered one from Tim Wilson when he was at Jackson when I wanted one. Never really saw them anywhere else. I think he said the ones they had were sorta custom for them or something like that. Maybe I'm wrong, not sure.

The ones that were in the San Dimas series re-issues, were pretty cool sounding and I liked them. Been trying to find it here in my junk, it's MIA. They sounded really good in those KOA and mahogany guitars, but I didn't like it much in my basswood stuff.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The ones that were in the San Dimas series re-issues, were pretty cool sounding and I liked them.

[/ QUOTE ]
              You mean the mid '90s ones like Bill has? They were Tone Zones with Fast Track 1 and The Chopper. Which models had a Super 3? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Super three is a hot, super badass metal pickup. It is a SUper 2 with more mids, and less treble. I personally love it in my HM strat (basswood body). It would probably be a monster in an LP. It makes my HM sound huge, and LP's are already a warm, midrangy type sounding instrument. Your local dealer may not have them in stock-I think they ceased to be a production model a few years back, but they should be able to get you one from Dimarzio.

Comment

I have an HRR strat that came with one. It sounds good with the right amp. I recently replaced it with a Super Distortion that was in a drawer for 10 years. super 3 didn't sound too great with my SLO. It did, however, always sound good with my old ADA rig. Ooo. there's an 80's rig. Still have it, but never use it. Well, maybe sometimes.

Comment

Wow. Some of you guys have found a use for a Super 3...Awesome!
                    I hate 'em, personally.
                    They'll help a lame tube amp, but they won't help a good amp, I don't think. YMMV, and all that.

Comment

I've found a use for my super 3. It's taking up space in a drawer right now.

Comment

Jazzman, how funny, my Super3 is doing exactly the same thing right now [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I didn't like it in my PC1 and replaced it for a FRED.

Comment

If anyone has a zebra Super III send me a PM. I just happen to be looking for one. No black ones though I probably have 4 of them.

Comment

If you guys want to part with your Super threes, drop me a PM.

Comment

yeah me too.

Comment

Working...
                              X