Buzz Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz Fix

Ok, so I grabbed a guitar a few minutes ago and first thing I noticed was the D notes all came with this harmonica-style metallic buzz. It sounded like it came from the tremolo, and I thought maybe it was a shim under the saddle, loose fine tuner, or maybe one of the fine tuner "springs" (the little metal strip that pushes the saddle screw down when you fine tune) was bent and barely resting on the screw.

Long story short, it was the trem cavity cover. I only had it mounted by two screws, and that was fine when I first put it on there (no buzz) but for whatever reason, it became "not-fine" all by itself.

So, if one day you notice an annoying buzz from your guitar (acoustically), hit the offending note and press the trem or cavity cover immediately after hitting the note, and/or remove the cover to see if it goes away.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Buzz Fix

Interesting! And here I thought I remember you saying that you didn't understand when people played their electric guitars acoustically. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

That is pretty bizarre. I would have expected it to be the nut or a fine tuner. Interesting find.

Comment

A loose screw can cause a good buzz. Having a good buzz, can cause you to leave a screw loose! Buzz is no good. A guitarist should always have more of a buzz than his guitar!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Interesting! And here I thought I remember you saying that you didn't understand when people played their electric guitars acoustically. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who, me? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Noodling acoustically is fine, but not to the point of forming deeply religious arguments on the merits of construction methods, hardware color, or body wood with regard to tone and sustain [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
          X