Soloist Question Please Help !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist Question Please Help !!

I have seen a used Soloist (supposedly an SL1 US Model) in a music store here but when I looked at the serial number it did not start with any letters. It was stamped on the finger board 011046 and the headstock logo did not say "Made in USA". Is this a Japanese model or what? I don't know too much about the Soloist ( I'm a Fusion HH owner ) but the price was 450.00 so I am wondering if the guy is trying to pull one over on someone. It has an H-S-S configuration, neck thru body....any thoughts ?

Re: Soloist Question Please Help !!

Is the fretboard ebony? Binding? Real mother-of-pearl inlays vs. "pearloid"? Even if someone has replaced the electronics and trem, cosmetic details are a good clue. If the serial number doesn't indicate that it's a USA and the headstock doesn't say so, it sure doesn't sound like a USA to me. The best import Soloists were from back when they still used the Professional name, so that should be on the headstock...but that's not always true. My Soloist Pro doesn't say "Professional" on the headstock because I got a refin that included the headstock, but the serial number is the proof.

$450 is a fair price if the guitar has been well cared for, but it's not a bargain for an import, considering the going rate for neck-thru imports on eBay.
    sigpic

Comment

That sure sounds like an Import SL3. Probably has no binding and a Jackson Trem w/ Duncans.

Matt

Comment

It is a neck thru but does not have Professional or anything other than Jackson on the headstock. They are advertising it as a USA model though....I played it today and to tell you the truth my 1994 Fusion HH kicks its butt !!!

Comment

Yup. Sounds like an SL3 to me. If the first "0" was really a mis-read "U", the number itself is still too recent to not have Made in USA on the head.
          If the back covers are plastic, it's an import. All USA models have metal covers.

How many frets did it have, and was the fretboard bound? Was it ebony or rosewood?

An import Soloist from the "Pro" years would start with "J", but then again, would also say Professional and have a MOP logo (90/91).
          Check to see if the headstock has scrapes on it - coulda been worn off if it's very old.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The fretboard looked like ebony and I dont remember seeing any binding on it. It did have shark fin inlays but I am not sure what material...looked like mother of pearl...

Comment

Working...
            X