dirty pot or bad pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dirty pot or bad pot?

I'm getting a buzz from my tone pot. When I jiggle the knob the buzzing cuts in and out. Is the pot bad or does it just need cleaning?

Thanks

Travis

Re: dirty pot or bad pot?

Sounds like your pot is working just fine!
    [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

Comment

Gee, thanks for all your help and advice. I don't know what I would do without you. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Try cleaning it out with contact cleaner,if that doesn't work it's probably a bad ground!!Fire one up!!

Comment

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but how would I go about cleaning it with contact cleaner? Step by step directions would kick ass.

Comment

1. Get in Car
            2. Get out of car and find keys
            3. Get back in car
            4. Drive to Radio Shack
            5. Buy "TV Tuner Cleaner"
            6. Drive back home.
            7. Spray cleaner inside tone pot, don't be afraid to get it in there.
            8. Spin the pot a few times
            9. Let it dry a few minutes
            10. Plug in and play [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Be a little more specific about #7. I'm a moron when it comes to stuff like this. Will I be getting to the inside of the pot from the top of the guitar or from the control cavity?

Comment

You'll need a can of moving contact cleaner. Get the Caig stuff. It should come with one of those little tubes for directing spray.

Look at the protective cover that surrounds the pot on the back. There is a small opening you can spray the cleaner into. Give it a quick shot (like half a second). Let it set for maybe 15 seconds, then move the pot back and forth through it's whole range a few times. Test it again.

If the pot is good, the noise should be reduced significantly or gone. If it's reduced, repeat the process until the pot stops scratching. If it isn't back to normal after 4, 5 tries, you'll probably be better off simply replacing it.

Comment

Keep it off of the finish of the guitar. Someone once posted pics of a ruined Eerie Dess finish where the contact cleaner had crept up under the clear from the edge of one of the control cavities. Totaled it.

Comment

O.K. got it. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

dg,any idea what kind/brand contact cleaner that was??I've used the stuff(many different brands!!)for years & never had or heard of any problems like that ever!!

Comment

Chuck it was Ken WX7s guitar & i believe it was radio shack brand.

Comment

You can tell if your pot is dirty or bad because it will be brown and give you a headache.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            You can tell if your pot is dirty or bad because it will be brown and give you a headache.

[/ QUOTE ]...and smell like skunk.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Don't spray too much contact cleaner in it. There is a lubricant in that pot that can dissolve if too much cleaner is used. If a quick spray of cleaner doesn't work you will need to replace it.

Comment

Working...
                              X