Trem post help, please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem post help, please....

I bought a Fusion EX with a JT-580 bridge a few months ago. When I did the setup on it, I discovered that the trem posts spin freely in their sockets. Therefore, you can't raise or lower the bridge by turning them because the holes are stripped and the posts just spin in the body. Apparently, someone got a bit too serious about turning them in the past. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Also, the posts tilt slightly forward. I would like to fix this while I'm at it.

So what's the best fix? Please don't give me a solution that takes days to settle or something like that, because I plan to take a "play day" off soon and would really like to fix it in a few hours if possible. Elmer's Glue? Plastic wood?

Thanks!
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Trem post help, please....

dowel and redrill, and put in new posts/bushings.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

do you mean the trem posts spin? Or the bushings spin in the body? IF it is the posts spinning, just replace them-they are fairly inexpensive. If it is the bushing spinning, Sully's suggestion is the "right" way to fix it. You could also pull the bushings out, put a toothpick or in the hole, and wedge the bushing that way to gain more "traction". That would be a pretty temporary fix though.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Now for some really stupid questions; let's say that I dowel and redrill. Do I glue the dowel piece in? Also, how are the bushings inserted? Brute force or is there a trick to it?
        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

My advice is to replace both the posts and bushings with the Schaller kind like you get from Allparts, which are like $10-12. Pull out the old set, which sounds like it's not a problem since they spin so freely, and insert the new bushings with some wood glue. You might need to tap them in with a hammer if it's a tight fit. If they're too loose in there, use the toothpick method described above to tighten the fit. Let em dry overnight then reinstall the bridge.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, the posts tilt slightly forward. I would like to fix this while I'm at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I replaced the posts/bushings on my Pro Dinky XL for the above reason, as the posts were tilted toward the neck, and I actually thought the inserts were tilted in the wood the same way. Turns out the posts had so much play within the inserts that the tension of the bridge made it look like they were bent even though there weren't. Replacing them with high-quality ones remedied this.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

In my opinion, I would insert dowels and redrill it.

Comment

Working...
            X