No announcement yet.

Factors determing a guitar's value... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factors determing a guitar's value... ?

I'm having a little trouble pricing and evaluating a guitar. So far, I think I've nailed the main points, but I'm sure I'm missing alot too. Here's what I have so far:

Neck:
    Is it straight? +
    Bolt on? -
    Set or neck through? +

Body:
    Obvious cosmetic damage -
    Quilted or flamed top +
    Binding +
    Made of Mahogony, Walnut, maple +

Pickups:
    Let's not go too far here, just see if they're any good.

Tuners:
    Again, let's not go to far. It's fairly obvious what's good.

Bridge:
    Licensed Floyd? +-
    Original Floyd? +
    (Older models) Bigsby? +
    Again, all other obviousness.

That pretty well sums up all I know.

Going back to the different woods, how can you tell what the guitar is made of without being told?

If anybody can add anything to this list, and I'm sure there's a lot to be added, I would be extremely grateful.

Re: Factors determing a guitar\'s value... ?

Bolt on is a "-"?

Comment

If bolt-on is a MINUS, we would not have vintage Fenders being sold for the prices they are sold for.

Neck construction is subjective.

To me, all that determines a guitar's value is how much I personally want it.

Comment

Value is simple, when there are more buyers of a model, then there are guitars of that model, it doesnt matter what the condition or specs, someone will pay to buy it.............

Comment

Used guitars are not valued based on construction methods or materials. It has more to do with brand names, limited production models, custom shop models, signature models, paint & graphics, etc. Next comes "condition". Any desireable guitar in mint condition is worth more than the same guitar in "player" condition (unless EVH signed it LOL!)
          If you're talking about NEW guitars, you're pretty much in line.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

ALL ORIGINAL. collectors would rather have not working or broken original parts than replaced parts. alot of the old plastic parts that crack with age, most collector would rather have them old & cracked than replaced. any structural mods heavily de value collectable guitars.
            REFINS, generally take off 40-60% of the value. unless its a SD charvel for some reason. even if it PRO done. chips dings & other signs of age are expected with older/collectable guitars. since they were played its not like today where people buy LTD run guitars to keep them as collectables.
            RARITY. big factor.

Comment

Yeah, as an example a '56 Strat with beat to hell paint, seaized with rust original bridge saddles, dead pickups, shot frets, and crumbling plastic is worth considerably more than a fully refinished with broken parts replaced with functional version.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                If bolt-on is a MINUS, we would not have vintage Fenders being sold for the prices they are sold for.

Neck construction is subjective.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant generally speaking. You do have some obvious exceptions, such as the old Fenders. Now if you found an old neck through Fender, you could probably live off of the interest that you collect from selling that guitar.

As for collectables, you usually don't find out that it's a collectible until after you fuk it up!

Comment

Working...
                X