Adjusting action on a floyd!!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting action on a floyd!!?!

On a floyd licensed trem. for example, lets say the jt580lp found on the pro series Jackson guitars. When you want to raise or lower the action, are you suppose to do this when the guitar is like tuned to standard and stuff? I hear that you have to loosen the strings and take the whole floyd bridge out then tighten the screws. I heard this because if you just go adjust the action when the guitar is in its standard tuning or whatever you use , if you higher/lower action, you wear out the knife edges because of the tension of the strings on the bridge. Is this true? this is the way i've usually done it and I just ordered a KE3 and if it is true , I dont want to make the same mistake. Thank you.

Re: Adjusting action on a floyd!!?!

It's simply a matter of friction. Friction is what wears metal. Try running your car without oil and see how long it takes for the engine to seize up.
    With that said, just lubricate the posts and knife edges before you start adjusting them. A little 3-in-1 oil or even wd40 will work wonders. If they're lubed, have no fear in adjusting the trem height under string tension. Grease it up baby! Hell, even axle grease will work, or maybe even KY???? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

when you lube it do you just pour it on the post right by teh knife edge or do you haveto take it apart damn i always though if you wanted high action you just loosened the studs on the tremolo bridge i never knew you had to take apart stuff

Comment

Well, the word "pour" scares me. I prefer "dab". Use a q-tip or something. Even a small paintbrush works well.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
        X