Determine serial number from W.O.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determine serial number from W.O.?

From the old board a few of you may remember the mystery Jackson I purchased not too long ago which appears to be an '86 but with the wrong plate (according to Jackson custom shop the plate is for an '88 with Jackson bridge, and this bugger's got a Kahler).

Within the trem route, there is a number "8070". Is that the work order number?

Here is a pic:

Ever curious, I also took apart my "on the books" '86 strat and here's what I found:

Notice the number here (8055) only differs by 15! Do you think this means the "real" serial number of this guitar is somewhere around 15 past that of my "on the books" guitar? Any idea if there is a way to find out the actual serial number from these work order numbers? As you can tell this non-matching plate is bugging the hell out of me!!!

Re: Determine serial number from W.O.?

Not that I know of, unless you do a "book" search to find the serial.
    W.O. numbers rarely match the serial. I saw one or two where they were the same, but other than that, there's no way to get the serial from the work order number without going through the log.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeah I realize the W.O. won't match the S/N (which for '86s are in the 1000-1505 range) but was just wondering if the w.o. might somehow indicate the S/N. I suspect you're right about needing a book search though.

Comment

Very Nice Flame Bert [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        Robert Witte has some info on his site, www.jacksonmuseum.com, that might help you in your quest [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        Here is a link to the info:
        http://www.jacksonmuseum.com/evoluti...n-serials.html

Happy Holidays

Comment

Thanks for the pointer. He has this data point on there:

[W.O.] Number 8092 - Jackson Custom Bolt-On Strat 1339 - Ausgeliefert November 86 - shipped november 86 (Custom Grafic !).

So assuming they used plates in serial number order during '86 (which seems to be more or less the case), my mystery guitar's original neckplate was probably somewhere between that of my flamed strat (126x) and this one (1339). Still a pretty big range unfortunately!

Comment

Hey! That top guitar is very cool! You guys may not care, but that Mike Eldred guy was the Fender Custom Shop foreman from 1998 until this year. He now is in some sort of R&D for the Fender Custom shop now. He ushered in the "Time Machine" series of guitars that are the best they have been making!

Comment

Interesting to know.

I've actually seen Mike Eldred's name on a bunch of these early Jackson guitars. He must have been one of the most prolific builders during that time. And I must say the craftmanship on that guitar is top notch.

Comment

Working...
              X