Please help me choose a pickup!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me choose a pickup!!

I want a new single coil for the neck position of my Dinky XL. I was thinking a Dimarzio would be good. I want a really tight clear bass when I'm picking with Distortion. I suppose Im looking for pickup that can help me get a Michael Angelo style tone that is really clear but from a single coil. What do you guys think?? Any help would be really appreciated!

Re: Please help me choose a pickup!!

<font color="yellow">I put a Duncan Hotrails in my SD Jackson and it is great.....and I've heard good stuff about the Lil 59' and JB Jr also....I am not a big fan of DiMarzio's myself [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]...I have no guitars with them in them [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img], and all the ones I did have they were promptly ripped out [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Cool, that sounds like what I need. As long as the bass isn't muddy. What about a bridge humbucker then? I was thinking a Dimarzio super distortion, what do think??

Comment

<font color="yellow">I really like the Duncan Custom for a bridge pup, it is probably my favorite pickup, but I also like the Duncan JB and the Pearly Gates in my Shannon.

The Duncan Distortion is also a great pup....I've never had a guitar with one until I got my Big Red, and all I can say is [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Like I said, I fukkin hate DiMarzio's, but that is a personal thing I guess, some people swear by em'.

You can't go wrong with a Duncan Custom [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Ok thanks a lot for the advice! What was it about the Dimarzios that you didnt like?

Comment

<font color="yellow">I just don't like how they are voiced I guess....Duncan's just sound "right" to me. All my guitars except my Les Paul Custom have Duncans in them, which has the EMG 81/85 which sound great in the mahogony/maple w/set neck guitars I think.

Again, I'm not saying there's anything "wrong" with DiMarzio's, just a personal preference.

**Disclaimer** Note to all the DiMarzio weilding axeslingers, I said that as my opinion...so please don't lease Sully's nutnoose and come after me [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

I could recommend you lots of things if you were thinking humbucker, but since we're talking single coil I'll most defenitely second the Hot Rails (ok ok sc-sized hum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). Jb Jr usually tends to brighten up in Alder bodies, Lil 59 is very cool but you'll need more output. Perhaps a Lil Screamin Demon, but I think the Hot Rails will balance out more nicely. It can sound pretty smooth with some reverb and the volume rolled back. And it can do Michael Angelo. It's got good harmonics and a cool picking attack if you tend to play percussive leads (like me). Tight bass wouldn't be a problem since this pick up is very popular for rhythm playing (think Iron Maiden)

Comment

APC Persuader SC single coil!! Well, we'll see if it kicks the crap out of my Duncan Hot Rails. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Right now the Hot Rails is great for me. It's actually not as over-the-top as the name or reputation implies, but it is a very smooth yet fat and full sounding pickup. It's four-conductor so it's splittable, which is what I love for versatility.

Comment

I have Duncan JB in bridge and Hot Rails in middle and neck positions. This combination is abolutely great. Great variety of tones.
                  "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Thanks very much for all the help guys! I think I'll get a Hot Rails then!

Comment

My Dinky H/S/S refin will have DiMarzios... Norton bridge, The Chopper middle, Fast Track 1 neck. DiMarzios rule!! Screw LPC, for he knows not what he's talking about. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, if I may, I have a little question too now. In my PCS Dinky (maple body) I first changed the BL XL500 to a Distortion and the neck single coil (Jackson) to a cool rail. Somehow, the distortion didn't satisfy my expectations and recently I've replaced it with a JB4, which gives a much warmer sound now.
                        Anyway, to get to the point, what if I'd switch the cool rail to the middle pup and put a hot rail in neck position? I'd like a sc sound, which is somehow provided by the cool rail but doesn't really have 'it' (thàt characteristic sc-sound). The Jackson SC is just too low in output. Maybe the cool rail would do the job in middle position well enough though? I know it sucks with distortion and maybe a hotrail in neck position is better suited for this?

My explanation might sound a little blurry I think...Hope you know what I mean.

thanks

Comment

I believe the Cool Rail is supposed to be more of a classic PAF humbucker-type sound. You may want to go with a Vintage Rail if you want more of a single coils sound and want to stick with Duncans.

Comment

I've just taken a look at SD-site and the hotrail nor the vintage rails will fit the dinky, it doesn't have those v-shaped spares for sc.

This sucks, had some trouble already 'til I found the Coolrail...I wonder why they do this? I've noticed this on a fusionbody too. It excludes a lot of sounds this way I guess...

Comment

I think those little lips in the middle on the bottom of the pickups can be cut off, or you can possibly order them without them for your guitar. BTW, that's a sweet looking guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X