Randy's Original White Grover Jackson; Info Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy's Original White Grover Jackson; Info Please

If this post is in the wrong area of the forum, please move it to it's proper place...

OK, I'm looking into having a replica built of Randy Rhoads' original white Jackson, with the black pinstripes...the first Jackson guitar, technically speaking. I know that Jackson did the limited edition release of the guitar years ago. However, I recall seeing a version of this guitar on Ebay (like a dummy, I saved the pics but not the description) that was described as being an unreleased prototype of Randy's actual guitar. The seller proceeded to list the many ways that the Jackson limited release actually differed from Randy's guitar, such as the length of the guitar, the bottom contour, neck width, etc. Is anyone here in the forum familiar with any of this, or was the seller of the unreleased prototype? By looking at the photos of the Jackson limited edition and comparing them to photos of Randy playing his guitar, it appears that the seller was telling the truth; that there were several differences in design between Randy's personal guitar and the later rerelease. The point is, I'd like my planned custom job to be as close to Randy's original as possible, and not just emulate the design differences/flaws of the Jackson rerelease. Can anyone here in the forum help me out with this? Thanks in advance.

Re: Randy\'s Original White Grover Jackson; Info Please

DUDE buy a ltd pinstripe ! they are a close copy expect to pay 2500 to 4500 buxx cash money rare ltd only 204 i belive were built but that may not be the exact number , they are worth the hunt i have owned 2 but gave them up to my bro's , good luck hunting ! alz

Comment

There were a few short wings that were produced after the original LTD to be closer to the exact specs of Randy's. There are a few differences between Randy's original and the LTD but man...the LTD is one of the most sought after Jacksons and I am sure you would be happy with one if you can find one.

I think on Sully's site he explains the differences.. http://www.kisstribute.com/randysite/

Go to guitars and scroll down to the bottom
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

It'd probably be cheaper to go with a Custom Shop you could play rather than an LTD that you paid so much for you'd be scared to put any wear on it for fear of reducing the resale.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Agree w/ NewC [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          Only problem: wait time [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

btx, what you're looking for is what shawn described; the 7 shortwing rhoads models. they were made by mike shannon (not jackson, from what i've learned). rob lane worked with mike to have a real replica made of the original white prototype rhoads. there are many differences between the shortwings and the ltds, and when i saw a shortwing (in pix) i was kinda disappointed in my ltd, honestly...

as far as having one made, you can't get one from jackson...well, you can't get an ltd from them...but you'd have to have a different body shape cut. and quite honestly, you're best with goin thru gmw....but then it won't have the logo on it....soooo..... either find a shortwing (they're around from time to time) or pick up an ltd.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info and advice, guys. Funny you should mention GMW...I'm having a guitar built by them now, won't be ready for quite awhile...but I'm already thinking about doing a second project with them and the shortwing Rhoads model popped into my head as a "Hey, wouldn't that be cool if..?" Lee told me he could make one, since he has one to copy, but I'm not sure which version it is. Whichever one it is, I'm sure I'd be happy with the final result.

As for the logo issue, I just planned to have the headstock painted white and extend the pinstripes from the body along the headstock's edge. So it wouldn't be a 100% replica in any event, which to be honest would be fine. For myself, I'm not interested at all in resale values of customs that I'm having built for me. I'm ordering these guitars 'cause I want them for myself.

I've collected comics all my life and worked in the industry, and the same collector mentality exists there. That type of speculator thinking can ruin an industry. Oftentimes, it's just a marketing ploy used by companies to move product...inducing people to believe that their guitar, or comic book, or car, or whatever collectible is special and thereby shouldn't be touched or breathed upon. My attitude is, play the damned thing. Enjoy it! Take care of it and preserve it, yes, but don't be afraid to touch it. Life is too short. You could have the rarest guitar in the world, and then one day discover the wood has split in two due to some unknown instability or environmental change...and how bad would you feel then?

Anyways, that's just MHO...thanks again for the responses and info.

Comment

no problem, btx, and i have to say that even though i have one, it was my main guitar for a good long while....and is dingless. the gold plating, is wearing in two small areas, though, but whatever. if you need any other info, lemme know.

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks man, will do. My current GMW won't be ready for quite awhile...unlike the guy (sorry, I don't recall his name) that just got the ultra cool reversed DeMartini graphic, mine is looking more like six months at least rather than six weeks (lucky bastard! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )...I've got a ways to go before I'll be ordering another one, but who knows? I've got a couple of irons in the fire and if one of these deals goes down, I may be calling Lee with some design specs sooner rather than later.

Thanks again.

Glenn

Comment

On the subject of having Jackson do it as a Custom, couldn't one minor detail be changed like the scarf joint or something, but leave the body true to the original shortwing? I do believe that was mentioned when the subject of having the JCF Rhoads duplicated as a Custom order - the scarf joint would have to be changed, or some other design element changed.
                    Anyways...

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

After all that I've been reading about the problems you guys have had with Jackson in terms of quality control, customer service and general communication, I wouldn't think of trying to order a custom through them. I would imagine that Jackson't losses have been GMW's gains over the past few years due to those issues...yes or no?

Comment

Does anyone know how to get a hold of Mike Shannon? I wanted to ask him some questions about the shortfin. I'd love to have one, obviously that will be finding a needle in a barn-full of hay. I tried emailing Rob Lane, but he never replied. My Sandoval is finally done, but I just wanted to know if getting the "real deal" LTD/shortfin Jackson Rhoads can be a reality or just a pipedream. Have a happy new year guys!

Mike

Comment

Since Shannon works for Fender, I suppose mail addressed to him at Fender would be the most logical way, but I doubt he'd build you one if he's employed by Fender.

Newc

Comment

Wow! Does he work for the Custom Shop?

Comment

Originally posted by btx109:
                              After all that I've been reading about the problems you guys have had with Jackson in terms of quality control, customer service and general communication, I wouldn't think of trying to order a custom through them. I would imagine that Jackson't losses have been GMW's gains over the past few years due to those issues...yes or no?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No. The JCF 01 were not custom guitars, but a limited production run. I have a 2001 Jackson SL2GX, and while I had problems with the first one that was sent to me (one nasty cosmetic issue), the replacement is spectacular.

I wouldn't hesitate to order a Custom Shop from Jackson.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X