neck scale question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck scale question

i have a 25.5" scale neck that is 24 frets, not a fretboard overhang. Would this fit on a normal 25.5 scale body like one from warmoth?
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Re: neck scale question

No. The neck pocket has to be shifted closer to the bridge to accomodate the extra length on the end of the neck.

Comment

oh, damn. thanks for the info though. What scale would the body be then, or what would i specify to the maker of the custom body

Comment

Jim is correct. A 'normal' 25.5" scale body from say Warmoth would have a neck pocket cut to accommodate a 22 fret neck. You have a 24 fret 25.5" scale neck, which means the neck is longer by the extra two frets, so the pocket has to be cut that corresponding amount towards the bridge.

For someone to do it right, you'd have to give them the dimensions of the neck, including the if the neck is curved or straight across at the butt so he can make the cut in the body mirror the butt shape of the neck. Since the 12th fret needs to be located 12-3/4" from the bridge, you'd have to give the body guy the dimension from the butt end of the neck to the center of the 12th fret so he could calculate how far to go inwards on the neck pocket.

What neck did this come from? Would it be easier to search ebay for a body from a similar guitar?

Comment

Warmoth bodies are routed for 21 frets, the 22nd fret is on an extension.

Comment

the neck is a jacskon neck from a dinky reverse profesional. I totally ruined the body in a refinishing project. Its 24 frets and has dots that are near the top of the fretboard as apposed to the middle.
            the neck is the same as this guitars.

Comment

It would be easiest just to get another Jackson body, either use as is or maybe have professionally re-fin'd.

Here's some examples:
              H-S-S

H-H

DKMG H-H

several more that might work

Do some homework, verify the 24fret 25.5" scale, look at the end of your neck and look at the pocket route to see if they match, look at complete versions of guitars these bodies came from to see if the neck/body combination looks like your original guitar.

Comment

I believe Warmoth will cut you a short scale body, for an upcharge.

Call 'em.
                750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

That doesn't look too ruined. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

hey that´s my guitar you postet there!

if you need a dinky body for your neck, i can sell you one.

email me if you have questions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      That doesn't look too ruined. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                      naw sorry that aint mine. I used that picture from the gallery because it was the exact same kind as mine. Also, thanks for those links to ebay but im not in the market for a strat shaped body. However the info you guys have given me has helped a bunch.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I believe Warmoth will cut you a short scale body, for an upcharge.

Call 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Yes, they will, for $50. I asked about a 24-fret bolt-on neck for one of their Flying V bodies... they said they have one that's short scale (24.75") that's like their normal 22-fret necks with no overhang, and that they'd just have to route the bridge in a different place to accomodate the scale.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                        X