JCF01: how's it feel/play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCF01: how's it feel/play?

So what's the neck like on these guitars? To what guitar would you compare it to (and no "there's no comparison" answers!)? What were the main quality problems with these guitars?

One day I might have some cash to fork out on a somewhat pricey guitar and was wondering about these if more come up for sale.

And yes, I read the ebay thread about selling/not selling these and Randy's legacy blah blah blah.

I'm just interested in the facts/opinions of the playability. NOT the collectibility, sentimentality, or Jackson's handling/mishandling of the production.

Thanks!

Re: JCF01: how\'s it feel/play?

They have a fatter than normal neck profile on them, almost like a classical guitar. They have smaller frets, sound great, comfortable to play and easy to get used to. I like fat necks so I didn't have a problem getting used to it.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

if you've played an import firebird, it's the same neck dimension...yes, it's wide, almost like a classical, but not THAT wide. they play well, but to me, that fat neck was a hindrance. they're also top heavy from where the strap knob is placed. they sound amazing, though.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yep - fat neck like a classical, but only as wide as any other electric. Tall skinny frets so the strings or your fingers never touch the board.
        As for the problems, those that had them were generally the same - long wing tip had some finish issues (bubbles, drips, etc - basically a rough job on the tip. Also, the holes for the strings under the v-plate were misaligned, and I think my low E saddle is like Greg's was - kinda low.

As for playability - if you can find a guitar that plays better (easier fretting action, etc) then jump on it, but only my Les Paul competes with the Rhoads for playability.

I have a leather strap on mine (wide with suede back) so it doesn't slip, but that front strap pin IS in a weird spot. I assume this was Randy's spec due to his petite stature - the strap would "hug" him instead of him just acting as the hook which the guitar hangs on and swings side to side like a picture on a wall.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hmm...fat neck. That's what I was afraid of. Can't stand wide or fat ones [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I understand that some people have small hands, and I don't consider my hands to be huge, but out of curiosity and generally speaking, how does a fatter neck become unplayable?
            Technique-wise, if you only play with your thumb wrapped around the back and never change it, then I could see where there might be some problem, but if you're playing with any modern rock technique, you would have your thumb in the middle of the neck most of the time, or at least not gripping it like a broom.

Not directed at anyone and not meant as a rant - just something I've been wanting to ask for a while.

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Great points Matt...I often wonder why thin necks are associated as being fast [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] It is the players technique that makes one fast. I have medium sized hands with skinny fingers and I have no problems, actually a little more meat on a neck is more comfortable to me.

I think what it boils down to is what everyone is used to -- and that is thin, sleek neck profiles. When players do play a fat U or V shaped neck it just doesn't feel right to them so the don't give em a chance.
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thin necks are associated as being fast necks because your hand is in a little more relaxed state. I think the idea is that the neck is thinner therefore there is less distance between your thumb and fingers.... J.M.O

In my instance I have small hands and fingers so the thinner necks are easier for me to play .

Kev
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I've only played one fatneck that was hard to play - a Telecaster. It was about as fat as the JCF01 neck, but I think what sets them apart is the tall frets on the JCF, and the Tele had short frets.

Newc

Comment

well, the tele also has a much rounder fretboard radius, and that makes a big difference...

as far as randy's strap pin placement, it was in the regular spot; if you have the re-reissued tribute, there's a pic of him on the disc, and you can see the pin placement...

and i'm with kev on the fast neck thing.... although i could get around just fine on my jcf 01. but yes, your overall ability is what will help you more than anything.

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
                      Have you ever played bass? Maybe that kinda helps. I've played around on one almost as long as I've played guitar, so my finger spread would be more conducive to a fat neck than someone who had not played bass as much.
                      I had a friend who was a shred king, and he played thin necked guitars, but couldn't do squat on my LP copy, but his bass player could do the "Diary" solo on it.

Newc

Comment

I've played a ton of bass but never really got into it. I can stretch my fingers realy far too...doing a 12-15-19 hammer/pulloff is usually pretty easy for me.

Comment

Hmmm. Could be a psychological thing where your hand goes into "bass mode" when you get a fat neck, since bass strings on a regular neck have about the same thickness overall as a fat necked guitar, and your grip increases, thus slowing you down?

Newc

Comment

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] they have a big ass killer clasical style neck and tone to die for #22 sounds just like a 1982 charvel san dimas now remember alz gotz those small white guy hans so i prefer smaller necks but the one i owned sounded like sweet creme ole metal style sound [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] ~ i also value said guitars at $2000 to start [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ! #22 ROXX ! ALZ ORIG 25 YCE JCF MEMBER #22 ALZ PEACE AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE THAT READS THIS [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] !!!

Comment

i think they are a piece of cake when it comes to playing them. i luckily got al z's #22. i have a guitar with an even bigger neck. it is on my serial #RR001 sandoval polka dot v. the neck is like a louisvilee slugger and plays just as easy. if anything, the bigger neck will add to your tone, at least i would think that.it's a cool axe,
                              and the pickups sound great. i do like the polka dot better but it is not fair to compare them.
                              have a cool yule everybody.
                              tommy
                              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                              X