Question About USA Jackson Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About USA Jackson Pickups

What type of PUs' came with Dinky's from the late 80's. Were Active EMG's standard or an option? There is a late 80's USA made Dinky I recently saw that had EMG's. Since there was no separate compartment for the battery I assumed they were passive. When playing the guitar the volume/output seemed lower on the bridge PU. The funny thing was when I opened the voulme/tone compartment, I found a battery stuffed in there with lead to lead wire going to the pickup compartment.... My question is... is this a home made job, or is this how Jackson set-up active pickup guitars. For that matter, did Dinky's even come with active EMG PUs' from the factory during this era? (late 80's I assume since serial # was 6xxx [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Question About USA Jackson Pickups

Are you sure they were EMG's? Jackson had their own brand of pickups, including black covered hums and singles that look just like EMG's. The pickups were passive, but were sometimes wired into an Jackson active system. The 9v snaps into a clip mounted in the main control cavity - that might explain the lack of a battery-rout.

My '88 Ltd Ed (pictured below) is configured that way.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

If it says "Jackson" on the pickup cover, it's not an EMG (who started the rumor that all covered pickups are made by EMG???).
      Obviously, if it says EMG, then it's an EMG pickup, but keep in mind that if the guitar is a late 80's model with EMG logoed pickups, someone else could have put those pickups in sometime during the last 10-12 years.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I would be willing to bet a $ that your guitar is actually a Fusion, not a Dinky. They were bolt ons but unlike Dinkys they had 24 3/4 inch scale lengths. They also had three Jackson pickups as standard factory jobs. All Jackson pickups were passive, but they were linked to active circuits. In the Fusion they were connected to the JE-1500 circuit, activated by a mini toggle in the middle of the volume/tone. The circuit was attached to the volume knob and powered by a single 9 volt battery which was mounted inside the cavity to a battery holder. Post a pic, we can see it better that way.
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

As a follow-up... these PU's were definatley EMG's. I don't have pic's but "Charvel 750" you raise an interesting question. I was also wondering if this was a Fusion.... the only thing is that there was no mini toggle switch between the volume and tone, just the three pickup selector switches. I never tried to pull up the volume or tone knobs to see if they were two way... What is the best ways to determine the difference between Fusion's and Dinky's? I'm really interested in Fusions and other shorter scale Jacksons/Charvels

Comment

Best way? Measure from the nut to the 12 fret, double that figure. If it comes out to 24 3/4", then it's a Fusion. 25 1/2" and it's a Dinky [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Ok that's true, but is that the only difference between Fusion's and Dinky's?... So the body routings and wood type are the same? There is no other difference other than the neck scale length?
              I thought fusions had different body woods other than alder....?

Comment

Oh, the pickup selection is with three mini toggles? If so, it's not a Fusion, the USA Fusion had a five way blade switch. In essence the only difference is the scale length between a Dinky and a Fusion. However, some Dinkys did not have the lower bout scoop. Some did, but some didn't. And, some Dinkys did not have 24 frets, some did, but some didn't. So, it would appear then that you have the EMG's wired into the Jackson JE-1200 mid boost circuit. The EMG's were not likely to be standard issue, but it's possible if the guitar was made before the spring of 1990 as they were all total customs then. Contrary to what some members will argue, the USA Fusions' bodies were poplar, the necks were maple with ebony fingerboards, same with the Dinky. In fact, poplar was the main body wood for Jackson throughout the 90's until the recent era productions which begain using alder. Post a pic and a serial number to help us out better.
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
                X