Fret Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fret Wire

What's the effect of different fretwire sizes? I mean, how would it affect your playing/sound?

Re: Fret Wire

In terms of fretwire SIZE, I don't think there's much, if any, difference in sound. It's more of a feel thing from my judgement and experience. Some may feel that jumbos are easier to fret due to the pads of your fingertips not touching the fretboard as much. Going with that extreme, there are scalloped boards or extra jumbo frets so you will probably never even touch the board.

I like the smaller frets on my acoustics and the larger frets on my electrics. Anything else would feel a little "different" to me but manageable.

I've heard that stainless steel fretwire (as opposed to nickel/silver fretwire) has a little bit of a different sound but I've not played a guitar with them yet. They are also reputed to last much longer, so I might think about getting a Warmoth neck with stainless jumbos.

Here's Warmoth's page about fret size:

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/...tion=fret_size

Comment

Re: Fret Wire

I think that it's mostly the feel really.

Other than really huge frets can in some ways cause tuning weirdness. Tall and they can cause the string to be pushed out of tune by a heavy handed layer, and wide is touchier on the intonation in a way, depending on the crown.

I'm no luthier though, soooo....

Comment

Working...
      X