Limited edition guitars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited edition guitars...

Are all limited edition guitars handbuilt??? It doesn't really matter but my '88 LTD Dinky is on it's way here, and I was wondering...

Thanks!!

Re: Limited edition guitars...

All USA Jacksons are hand-made.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I second that motion...all in favor? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You guys speakith the truth.

Matt

Comment

speaketh
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'd like to offer my views on Jacksons' so called "Limited Editions." [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] The term "limited edition" is very strange for Jackson to use and market their guitars with. All Jacksons used to be custom shop made to order. No two were alike. So when they began offering their "limited editions" the hard core collectors scoffed at them! For example, the first true limited edition was the LTD '88 as mentioned above. Now, there were 500 of them slated for production and at least 400 were actually made (I have 232). But in 1988 every strat was made to order and was highly individual. So with the LTD '88 Jackson redefined the term "limited." There were a whopping 400 of the same exact guitar. (The Charvel version Model 88 was even worse, near a thousand were built!) The LTD '91 AT Soloist was "limited" to 200 instruments. But how many AT Soloists were made in that era? 600? 700? Easily that much! So, to me, limited means just that, small numbers, low production. 500 of the same exact thing ain't no limited version. Of course, this does not demean the nature of the guitars, just their title. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Anders, it's on its way with "POSTEN". If they don't mess up the guitar should be here by thursday. I'll post a review in my "Custom shop dinky" thread...

[ December 16, 2002, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Thoraby ]

Comment

Yeah, let's hope that nothing happens with it and that everything goes smoothly! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Where in Sweden do you live? And where does the seller live? I live in Örebro... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anders
                https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

I sure hope that "posten" do not damage it!
                  I live in Dalby(10 km from Malmoe) and the guitar was in Kungsör, Västmanland. Only 3 days to go! WOOHOO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
                    I'd like to offer my views on Jacksons' so called "Limited Editions." [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] The term "limited edition" is very strange for Jackson to use and market their guitars with. All Jacksons used to be custom shop made to order. No two were alike. So when they began offering their "limited editions" the hard core collectors scoffed at them! For example, the first true limited edition was the LTD '88 as mentioned above. Now, there were 500 of them slated for production and at least 400 were actually made (I have 232). But in 1988 every strat was made to order and was highly individual. So with the LTD '88 Jackson redefined the term "limited." There were a whopping 400 of the same exact guitar. (The Charvel version Model 88 was even worse, near a thousand were built!) The LTD '91 AT Soloist was "limited" to 200 instruments. But how many AT Soloists were made in that era? 600? 700? Easily that much! So, to me, limited means just that, small numbers, low production. 500 of the same exact thing ain't no limited version. Of course, this does not demean the nature of the guitars, just their title. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, there ARE some limited editions that are really limited too. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Regardless, I like my SL2GX, and the new Chlorine SL2's that Matt had done, as well as the SL2 RHY "team jackson" stuff. Those ARE truly limited guitars, and I think it's great they Jackson is doing that... Basically a custom spec run at USA Select prices... Good deals!
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thoraby: So you went and bought it? Nice! I had my eyes on it too, but the cash was missing! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Tell us how it plays when you have it! Those '88 LTD's looks nice!

Anders
                      https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

And again, I ask, how are those examples limited? I have a 1989 USA Rhoads Custom, it's the same yellow as those GE ones, has black bevels around the body, has matching yellow headstock and black Jackson logo. Has dual hums (EMG's as a matter of fact, 89 and 81), and now a Floyd (originally was a Schaller JT-590). Now that was a one of a kind, these "limited edition" roadkillyellow Soloists are not limited, they are standard production guitars, the serial numbers are proof of that, and that's my point. For now, anyway. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
                        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                        Gotta get away from here.
                        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Joe - it's Corporate Marketing, plain and simple. Use an eye-catching buzzword like "limited edition" and you draw the "mee too" collectors in like flies to honey, believing they are joining an exclusive club of owners, when in fact they just get the same as everyone else with a "new and improved" sticker on it.

It's all about the Bennies.

As I recall, that "Road Hazard Yellow" was known as "Nuclear Yellow" in the 80s at the height of the Cold War, when we were still under the threat of W.W. III. Now it's "Road Hazard Yellow". Why not just call it "Guvmint Yella" and be done with it? It's the same Yellow they use for Nuclear facilities, road stripes, and other Official Government markings (parking lots, car stops, road signs, etc etc) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Maybe if someone did a guitar in that Caution Yellow with the little reflective honeycomb in it like you find on street signs?

Newc
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well put NEWC! It is about the perception of "limited edition".

I believe you won't be seeing Jackson "Custom Shop" on anymore headstocks unless they are backed up by the Benjamin F's.

The terminology used to describe any given finish on a guitar is irellevant to the actual color that one perceives it to be.

The "optics" are just as subjective as the perception of the "Limited Edition" draw.

Comment

Geez. I didn't say ANYTHING about being collectable... christ.

So I can get a SL2GX, or one of those RHY solists anywhere? Um... since they're "standard production" guitars, you can get them from any dealer right? Current production? Available at any time throughout the year and listed on their site "standard production?...

Errr... stuff it. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X