Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!...broken [binding] tip on dinky xl headstock

Hello,

I'm new to this forum [although I've checked this place out for sometime now]..I bought a Jackson Dinky XL at a local pawnshop [$149.00]..And I'm wanting to repair the binding at the headstock tip..I don't have the piece that's missing and I have no idea how much it would cost for full binding for the entire neck..Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks..

Re: Help!...broken [binding] tip on dinky xl headstock

Welcome to guitar hell! I'm sure a small piece could be blended. Can you post a pic? Where you from?

Comment

Most bindings can be patched/blended using a small piece of the correct size (or larger) binding, and acetone. The tricky part may be the finish that's over it and/or matching it up with any yellowing that's occured in the surrounding binding. It can still be done though.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I agree. No need to re-bind the whole thing.

Comment

Yeah just repair what you have.Any guitar shop should carry the proper binding material.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hey Jazzman thanks for the welcome..
            I'm from Oklahoma..
            The binding has yellowed with age which brought me to the conclusion that I would have to re-bind the entire neck..I'll have to follow your advice and check out my local guitar shop for binding material..I may have the local guy install the binding for me..I don't want to mess things up worse than they are now..I guess the previous owner set out to repair what he could..looks like he ripped out about 4 inches of binding underneath the Jackson logo to the tip of the headstock..

Comment

One last question..Supposing I decide to take this task into my hands..How do I make/sculpt the point using the binding material?..Do I cut and glue two pieces of binding together to make the point?...Too bad no one sells binding tips..Also I was wrong about the exact length of the damaged binding..it was only an inch long and it's on the tip on the upper part of the headstock..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                One last question..Supposing I decide to take this task into my hands..How do I make/sculpt the point using the binding material?..Do I cut and glue two pieces of binding together to make the point?...

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">That's correct. You "miter" the corner like you would two pieces of wood that join in a corner. Like was said above, the hardest part will be getting the yellow/aged color to match. When you get the binding patch, make sure to look closely at what you have on there now. Is it the fake "grained ivoroid" type binding or is it just a plain solid color? To help you understand what I mean, go here:

stew mac </font>
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

The binding appears to be the Ivoroid Celluloid Nitrate type because of the tell-tale lines that run up the neck..

Comment

the easiest way to rebuild the tip is to make a binding sludge made of either acetone or MEK (i use MEK), and a strip of binding that matches what you've got.

cut a small piece (about an inch) of binding, and then a bit of the acetone. let it sit and break the binding down so it makes a syrup. you'll need to stir it so it breaks down evenly. if it's too thick, add a bit more acetone/MEK, too thin, more binding chips.

after it's got an even consistency, take a bit of it with a toothpick, and start building up the missing area. go back in a few hours after it's hardened, and add some more. repeat until filled in.

when it's done, sand it with 400 grit paper, and you're done.

if you're missing a solid strip, you're better off rebinding the headstock.

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

oops...didn't see that part where you're missing a full strip.
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Oh I apologize for the incorrect info but I'm not missing a full strip I was just commenting on the damage that was done to the binding..the inch or so worth of damage had been repaired..I'm only missing the very tip of the headstock binding..

Also I don't want to sound like a dumbass but I will anyway..What is MEK?...The method you described to me sounding fairly simple..I'm only hoping that my local guitar shop will carry binding strips..

Comment

MEK is Methyl Ethyl Ketone, which can be purchased at home depot.

your guitar store more than likely is not going to have binding sitting around. PM me your address, and i'll send you a strip that should match up with what you have.

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                          X