Question about "Dual" 5 way switches.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about "Dual" 5 way switches.

So I have a KV-1 and a KV-2. I really like these guitars, but I always really liked guitars with...single coil pickups. I really love the notch sounds of a stratocaster and the middle sound of a telecaster, and they work especially well with some of the combo models on my line 6 stuff--they shimmer well. Ive done some research on the issue and the Paul Reed Smith rotary wiring switch is perfect--so I need to find a way to create these sounds without defacing my guitars by inserting one of those crappy looking rotary dials.

I'm also not about to completely deface the value of the guitars by installing a single coil, so Im looking into 5 way switches--I know stewmac makes a switch that gives you all the sounds of the PRS rotary this is what Im looking at. My question to you guys is that can you indeed fit it in the space for the standard 3 way switch already there or will extra modifications be required?

here is a link to the switch--
    Megaswitches

Thanks in advance for your patience. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Question about \"Dual\" 5 way switches.

I think it would work. I have a H-H Strat with a 3-way switch and the measurements of the opening are very close to the 5-way switches on my PS4 and JS 20. Remember the 3-way has a larger gap between positions than a 5-way. I also noticed that the selector switch on my PS4 stops a considerable distance away from the edges of the rout in the body so I think it would be fine.

Chris
    Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

cool man, thanks

Comment

I replaced the 5 way in my strat with a 3 way, and they are identical in size. The only difference between them is that the 5 way has two extra stops along it's route (5-way switched were originally made by modifying stock strat 3 ways). I'm pretty sure the mega switched have the same measurements, but give you a ton of different lugs and poles to solder to.

Comment

When I had my Warrior, I took the three-way switch out and put in a Mega/Super five-way and had cool splitting for my DiMarzio X2N and Super 2 pups... if I remember correctly, I had it wired for full bridge humbucker, top coils of both pups, both humbuckers, bottom coils of both pups, full neck humbucker. My Ibanez RG7620 had a similar wiring scheme, but I think the extra positions were for the coils to be in parallel with each other instead of series. My Fender Double Fat Strat also has the five-way with Duncan Pearly Gates Plus and '59... full bridge humbucker, inner coils of both pups, both humbuckers, top coil of neck, full neck humbucker (this is my favorite combo and I'm thinking of having this wiring on the Carvin DC727 I'll eventually order).
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ibanez has some nice wiring diagrams that should help you wire that Megaswitch up to the PRS specs.
            Example 1

Example 2

Comment

To answer your question, yes, the P model megaswitch is a direct bolt-in. I put one in a model 5 and wired it to PRS specs. It worked great and I loved the sounds. I had 2 J90-C pups in that one.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Say guys, how is the StewMac 5-Way Megaswitches, are they really as *GREAT* as I've been reading about, and what makes them better than a regular 5-Way switch???

Comment

I think the Mega has 5 individual positions, as opposed to 3 individual positions with "bridging" on 2 and 4.
                  Sorta like the Jackson Special 5-way - you get 5 individual connections that you can wire pretty much any way you want.

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I think the Mega has 5 individual positions, as opposed to 3 individual positions with "bridging" on 2 and 4.
                    Sorta like the Jackson Special 5-way - you get 5 individual connections that you can wire pretty much any way you want.

Newc

[/ QUOTE ]

So Newc, I mean "genious of insanity" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img], do you think that the StewMac 5-Way switch is better than the regular, and do you think that most players would rather have the regular 5-way than the SM one???

Comment

bump

Comment

It depends on what each individual wants out of a switch as to what's "better". I like the Jackson Special 5-way/Megaswitch idea, as you do get far more options. Others may not want the headache of complex wiring schemes that can be achieved a bit more easily with a regular 5-way and two push-pull pots.

Ultimately it depends on exactly what pickup combinations you want. The Megaswitch can give you:
                        1-Bridge Full
                        2-Bridge Split
                        3-Both full
                        4-Neck Split
                        5-Neck Full

or

1-Bridge Full
                        2-Split Bridge + Split Neck Series
                        3-Split Bridge + Split Neck Parallel
                        4-Series Split Bridge + Parallel Split Neck (phase reversed)
                        5-Neck Full

or just about any combination you can think of.

Throw in a pair of push/pulls and you get even more options:
                        Try running the green, black, red, and white (Duncan) wires to individual lugs of the switch so you can switch the phase (green/black) and set the coils in series or parallel (red/white) with the split neck coils (push/pull Tone).
                        Complex wiring like that is why you generally see older Biches with the "Mission Control" system - 10 mini toggles and 5 knobs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                        X