KE2 vs SL2...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KE2 vs SL2...

These guitars are both USA jacksons... The Soloist has the reputation to be on of the greatest shred guitars ever built. Is this true with the Kelly as well, or does it only apply to the soloist??

Thanks a lot

Thoraby

Re: KE2 vs SL2...

The last couple of frets on the Kelly are tough to use. It can be navigated, but it's tough.
    KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
    I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Upper fret access on a USA KE-2 is not difficult at all. The modern era Kellys have exceptional comfort up there. However, the older King Kellys and many of the original 22 fret models were a ***** to reach. Same as the Jackson Explorers. But the neck through Kelly of today has a deep cutaway, no sweat.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

KE2's are just as good for shred as soloists are.. IF you find the shape comfortable. when you play standing it up it kind of tilts towards the headstock which was a bit weird for me.. I'm pretty sure its something you can get used to though. You can also fix it by changing the position of the straplock. Sound-wise and neck-wise though both are great shredders.

Comment

you should, if possible, pick up a Kelly and play it...it's not for everyone. I love my KE-2! It felt odd at first, but now I am very comfortable with it.

BTW...I DO NOT have the nosedive problem! Am I the only one?

Comment

I have a Custom Kelly with 22 frets and it is not that hard to get up to the upper frets

Comment

Kelly XL...no nosedive here! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

hmm..the last frets look the easiest to navigate on kelly's, cause there is no upper horn to block the thumb from going all the way up...i've never paid any attention to kelly's, i always thought they looked awesome, but in the same time, i didnt see them as lead-players' gutiars..but after listening to friedman, its changed my opinion...i still dont know what a kelly would look like on someone when placed a little higher..if anyone knows of a lead player or whatever who plays a kelly lifted higher than friedman, can you please post links or pics.
                cheers
                [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Please don't refer to any guitar as being for a "lead" player only. Any guitar is capable of playing anything. I often tell my students that you are not a lead or a rhythm player, you're a guitar player. Plain and simple, don't restrict yourself.
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
                    Please don't refer to any guitar as being for a "lead" player only. Any guitar is capable of playing anything. I often tell my students that you are not a lead or a rhythm player, you're a guitar player. Plain and simple, don't restrict yourself.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You Go Joe [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

hmmm, well i did say that the upper fret access if better on the kelly, i never restricted myself, but i havent seen any guitarist, including friedman, have a kelly higher than the nuts simply becuase, as i thought, of the fact that explorer type guitars look ugly when placed in a higher position, but that's without any actual photographic proof....if you ask me, there is no way i'd play leads on a gutiar that's placed as low as how friedman or hetfield have theirs, no way at all...i was talking in that sense, i wasnt categorising, but i can see how you might have thought that
                      cheers [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X