G string is too low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G string is too low

On one of my guitars, the G string is noticeably lower than the rest of the strings. It has a Schaller Floyd and I honestly can't tell why the height is different. The saddle doesn't appear to be far off from the rest and I don't notice a big difference at the nut either. Any ideas?

Re: G string is too low

Is the fine tuner on that one cranked so low that the saddle itself is resting on the baseplate, yet the others are not?

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nope, the fine tuner is about even with 4 of the other strings. They are all above the middle of the range.

Comment

had that issue with a jt6, the saddle itself was just lower than all of them, even when i laid them out on a table. you can shim the saddle to bring it up a bit.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

What would be the best way to do that?

Comment

The G and the D saddles should be equal in height and higher than the other 4 saddles. Is this the case? If not, just buy a replacement saddle of the proper height.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The G and the D saddles should be equal in height and higher than the other 4 saddles. Is this the case? If not, just buy a replacement saddle of the proper height.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and check that a previous owner hasn't taken the Floyd apart to clean it and reassembled it with some of the saddles in the wrong places.
              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

best way is to take the saddles off, line them up on a flat surface and rearrange them until they're properly radiused. if after doing that, you still have a low saddle, you can put a little brass shim underneath it, or you can replace the saddle entirely.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know what I find.

Comment

I agree with the others here that one of the saddles might be in the wrong position. If you check that and still need to shim the saddle, Allparts sells shims for putting under floyd saddles to raise them:
                    Part Number is BP_2214-001
                    Shim Set for Locking Saddles (set of 12 pieces)
                    Retail Price: $5.00

Comment

Damn, Travis! I thought this thread was going to be about your wife modeling a Hamer while in a low G-string. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'll see what I can arrange. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

no thanks.

Comment

Can a G string ever be too low?

Comment

No. It can only be too high. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just kidding. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X