neck is too dry....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck is too dry....

i have a dkmg and the neck on it just seems too damn dry! i play a friend's ibanez prestige rg1527 and even though the price range and all is the same the ibanezs' neck blows this outta the water...i even put in a new set of strings but neck still isnt as "fluid" and "slippery"...and suggestions on how to fix it permanently...some oils perhaps?

Re: neck is too dry....

You might want to try putting lemon oil on it, they also make special polishes you can buy for the neck to clean it, then apply a conditioner to it so it doesn't dry out.

My friend told me this also helps out the neck. You take a rag and dip it in boiling water, you then wring it out until theres no water left in the rag. (if its too hot to touch, let it sit until you can wring it out) Make sure there's almost no water in the rag, and wipe down the neck with it. Wait about 10-15 minutes and see if all the waters soaked in, if some is still left next to the fret wires, wipe it off with a dry rag.

Comment

Lemon oil will work just fine.Put some on a paper towel. Rub it on the fretboard.Let it sit for 30 seconds or so then rub it in with your fingers then wipe off the excess.Do this with every 2 or 3 string changes and your fretboard will be fine.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

sounds like a plan..thanks alot [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

unless you're trying to raise the grain for some odd reason, DON'T put water or a wet rag on the neck. there's a tacked thread in this forum that'll help, too.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            My friend told me this also helps out the neck. You take a rag and dip it in boiling water, you then wring it out until theres no water left in the rag. (if its too hot to touch, let it sit until you can wring it out) Make sure there's almost no water in the rag, and wipe down the neck with it. Wait about 10-15 minutes and see if all the waters soaked in, if some is still left next to the fret wires, wipe it off with a dry rag.

[/ QUOTE ]
            Get a friend that has a clue. [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had a feeling you guys would say that about him. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] No worries...

Comment

This may be any old subject, but boiled linseed oil works great on fretboards and really well on unfinished necks. Do not leave it on too long to soak - about 10 minutes is good. I learned that the hard way. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

I use an Armor All / Boiled Tung Oil mix. (I invented it myself [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) Just put 2 quarts of armor-all in a large pot, bring it to a rapid boil, then add about 1/2 pint of tung oil. Reduce heat and stir for about 45 minutes (or until the room starts stinking real bad). Apply three wet coats to the fretboard with a pure cotton rag, let dry, and buff out with kleenex. Repeat as necessary.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

woah :o sounds like a killer recipe hehe!

Comment

oops...I forgot the smiley, I hope nobody tried that... [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        oops...I forgot the smiley, I hope nobody tried that... [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                        [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I read your recipe last night before I went to bed and laughed my ass off!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's a good lube, too, when Woody's bad and I have to spank him. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I use an Armor All / Boiled Tung Oil mix. (I invented it myself [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) Just put 2 quarts of armor-all in a large pot, bring it to a rapid boil, then add about 1/2 pint of tung oil. Reduce heat and stir for about 45 minutes (or until the room starts stinking real bad). Apply three wet coats to the fretboard with a pure cotton rag, let dry, and buff out with kleenex. Repeat as necessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

DAMMIT!!! There was no smiley!!! I fed that to my kids, they've been on the toilet ever since. I have to go to the gas station to take a dump because they have both bathrooms occupied!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                          Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DAMMIT!!! There was no smiley!!! I fed that to my kids, they've been on the toilet ever since. I have to go to the gas station to take a dump because they have both bathrooms occupied!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about the bathroom problem dude. Did you happen to notice if the kids hair was starting to look more silky and radiant? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

No but I'll check when they finally come out of the bathroom. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                              X