Is a Hipshot Tremsetter worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a Hipshot Tremsetter worth it?

I bought a Hipshot Tremsetter for my Peavey Wolfgang EVH standard. I talked to a local guitar store about them and they told me that they are a miracle; They not only keep the guitar in tune during dive bombs, but you can use the D-tuna with no hassle. Can someone please tell me if this is true and if it will be as good as they tell me? Thanks, Ben.

Re: Is a Hipshot Tremsetter worth it?

Absolutley. This thread is at the top of the tech section. Read it. It has a lot of good info.

Tremsetter thread
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

<font color="yellow">The Hipshot trem setter is a good piece of engineering with a Floyd, allowing the Floyd to return to a preset "0" reference point. Is it the "be all-end all" "fix" for a Floyd....well, that depends on what you want to achieve and what you are willing to give up for it.

I had one installed in my first Soloist...and it made the Floyd a lot more resistent to changes to tuning, but I'm not a big trem-guy either.

It may work out for you.

It takes some time to adjust the tension on the tremsetter and the other springs to get it balanced out and set the reference point.

Something that may be a drawback for you is you can feel the trem return to the 0 point. It is a "clunk" kinda feeling in the trem.

I'd say get it. They aren't really that expensive and if you don't like it, you could probably return it or flip it on E-Bay and recover some of your purchase price.

It does require (at least mine did) drilling a small hole in the trem cavity for the plunger, so if you have those kinda issues, you may want to look at something else.</font>

Comment

I'm going to have a local Floyd Rose dealer install it for $40. He'll also set the intonation and action. I purchased it off of Ebay for $39.79 including shipping. It should be here on Monday. I posted on the Peavey forums and the guys there told me that it wont work with the Wolfgang Floyd Roses because they aren't floating. I told them mine was floating, but they said it couldn't be because if it was floating I wouldn't be able to use the D-tuna. I hope this really does help the guitar stay in tune because I originally had the bridge fixed but now want to experiment with dive bombs and whammy bar tricks. The setup isn't really a problem for me because they will do it, but I heard if you installed it yourself it's basically a hit or miss deal. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

If your guitar already has a d-tuna installed then the trem should already be blocked (for rearward movement). Why do you need a tremsetter?
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Not to throw anything into this but you should NOT have any tuning problems with a Wolfgang, I played a Wolfie for a few years and it never got out of tune no matter how hard I hit the bar, I sugjust you look for other problems if it's not staying in tune
            I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I agree with Mark. My understanding of the Wolfgang is that it is routed in such a way that the floyd rests on the body and can only rock forward. The trem is "blocked" by the way the guitar is constructed. It has to be this way because if trem was truly floating (allowing for pull-up as well as dive) the other strings would all go out of tune when you use the D-tuna. The tremsetter should not be necessary, because on a Wolfie the zero point that LPC referred to is the point at which the trem is resting on the body.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                If your guitar already has a d-tuna installed then the trem should already be blocked (for rearward movement). Why do you need a tremsetter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that. If your trem's floating and you're trying to use a D-tuna, that's probably why you're having tuning problems. You can either have a floating trem or a D-tuna but not both. And if your trem doesn't float at neutral a tremsetter isn't going to help.
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Alright, well tommorow when I get the Tremsetter I'll see what the guy at the guitar store has to say. If he says it wont work, I'll just have him set it up to where it can stay in tune. Then I'll sell the Tremsetter on Ebay.

Comment

What are the pros/cons of having a Tremsetter installed on a floating FR???

Comment

Working...
                    X