Thought Corner: TONE pedal idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought Corner: TONE pedal idea.

Well, I got this crazy idea. I was thinking it would probably be really easy to convert a Volume pedal into a "Tone" pedal, similar to the one on your guitar (since not all of my guitars have tone knobs.

I would like to hear your opinions, do you think this would work as well as I think (hope) it would? Can anyone think of any problems that this might cause (before I go invest in a new volume pedal) Im thinking about placing it at the front of my effects rig, so it would be guitar > tone pedal > other pedals > amp.

Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Comment away. .

Re: Thought Corner: TONE pedal idea.

I'm pretty sure all you would have to do is stick a capacitor in there-just like on a guitar. I don't know if the pot value on the pedal would make a difference though. Hell, I think MF has cheap volume pedals for like 15-20 bucks.

Comment

I thought about doing that as well [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I'd think you'd definitely want to use a 250K pot, though.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Why would you want to do this?
        How do you use your tone control now?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Why would you want to do this?
          How do you use your tone control now?

[/ QUOTE ]
          He said not all of his guitars have a tone control. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
          Personally, I'd just put in a concentric pot to have both volume and tone on one control.
          Or there may even be a way to have a push/pull pot so you can get the tone control in the up position (I thought I read about someone here wanting to do something like that... not sure if it ever worked out, though).
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I thought about doing that as well [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I'd think you'd definitely want to use a 250K pot, though.

Newc

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe.

Why do you say 250k? Do you know what ohms most volume pedals use?

Chuck: I dont use the tone knob much, so I usually configure my guitars without them (I typically use DiMarzios, which are very smooth and dont need to be held back) But sometimes I like to have a little tone tweak, just for a different

And it would be fun to experiment with during songs (fading in and out like a wah)

Comment

Humm...interesting.

Comment

Someone has done this already. It's called a wah pedal.

Comment

But with a Tone knob (which is typically 250K) it's not as harsh as a Wah pedal.

Turning the Tone knob down on an EMG 85 gives the exact lead tone I like in a neck humbucker - nice and smooth, with little to no "Stratisms".

Nonamemx - I do believe most passive volume pedals use a 500K pot. I haven't busted open my Dunlop HighGain Volume to verify that, and I guess junky little off-brand models don't count [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  If they use a 1Meg pot, then I'd go with a 500K for a Tone pedal, just to bleed off more of the highs like a Tone knob should.

I wish I knew more about electronics (like actually building circuits and such), as there's a few things I'd like to try from time to time without melting anything [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Someone has done this already. It's called a wah pedal.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That's the first thing that came to mind for me too, but I can see what they're talking about as far as wanting a more subtle effect. A wah actually boosts frequencies in a given range as you work it, where a tone knob just bleeds off highs. What might work right off the shelf to accomplish this is something like a Crybaby 535Q. You can vary the sweep and adjust the boost from 0 to +16dB. Maybe at 0dB boost and with a wide sweep it would give a subtle tone-knob-like effect. Then again, it might be cheaper & more fun to experiment with a volume pedal & caps.

Comment

Newc: I checked out Ernie Ball's website, and they make several, with 25k (for active pickup guitars) and 250k and 500k. I will probably go with the 500k, I want to keep as much highs as possible, until I WANT to roll them off you see.

My original intent was to make a simple enclosure with a simple pot that would be my tone, but then I thought "Hey I could make a pedal, and not have to bend over to adjust it. . .and I could rock back an forth for intresting effects!."

I actually think it will sound really cool. a very subtle wah-ish effects for clean playing, and to roll back on the highs when ripping into legato solo runs. Imma Gonna Doit! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Need some cash first though. . . . . *sigh*

Comment

Wah pedals boost the mid highs, generally speaking.

And yes, the friend sells them very cheap. Once upon a time there was one for $20.

Comment

Working...
                        X