Been thinking about buying an older Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been thinking about buying an older Soloist

I am thinking about buying a Soloist as I haven't had one around for a while now and I really miss it. I would like to buy an older (San Dimas era) model. I am essentially interested in that era because I never owned one from that era and all the ones I drooled over as a kid were made then. I almost bought one on eBay a few days ago (it was a red one with Floyd) but was offered a killer deal on a '66 Fender Jazzmaster in Ocean Turquoise I couldn't let pass by.

My questions are: 1: How common are the Floyd Rose equipped Soloists from the San Dimas era? I really dislike Kahlers.
    2: Did Jackson evolve into better guitars all around after the San Dimas era, making a later model a better choice? Were they the same, or better?

Re: Been thinking about buying an older Soloist

Get the older Soloist for the non-recessed Floyd and the newer one for.....HANG ON A SECOND HERE MISTER....YOU DID WHAT?....A FENDER JIZZMASTER????.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!...that was prime Soloist money you had there!!... [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

hey jim shine, i have a black shannon soloist in mint cond. perfect for what you are looking for, non recessed floyd old school feel, by the man who invented the soloist, mike shannon
      $1100 shipped to you, pics' in the classified section
      thanks
      jon [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I think the neck profile on the SD SLs was different, more rounded. Later models had the flat spot in the back of the neck. I like the neck on the SD SL I have, but I may have it thinned a bit as the flatter board on a rounder neck doesn't really work.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the input all! It will be a few more weeks before I get another guitar, so its research time now.

This point you bring up about the necks is interesting. I had the flat spot on my Soloist. It would be interesting to have a more rounded feel.

Comment

Jim, since - in large part - Floyds on San Dimas era Jacksons had to be supplied by the customer, I would venture an educated guess that they are generally less in numbers than Kahlers. However, even back then Floyds were more popular, so maybe 60/40? 70/30? Again, don't take that as fact. Just an educated guess based on anecdotal evidence.

Also, for Floyds, you may want to look for late San Dimas-era guitars, which had better mounting studs for the bridge. Not as prone to shifting, as with the old-style Floyd wood screws. And not the same design as the current Floyd studs, either. These were definitely used during `86. Maybe part of `85, too? Others here probably know the history better than me. You might be able to make out the shape of the stud in this pic of my `86 Dimas. Sorry, it's not a close-up.

(And, no, she's not for sale. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Also, make sure the through-the-neck locking nut screws haven't produced any significant cracks in that area. ....Just a couple of things to look out for on those older Floyd-equipped Jacksons. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for what to watch for! I have noticed the very common lock nut mounting screw crack on alot of guitars. I never put much thought into the stud style of the tremolo's as I have the most personal experience with the older style big wood screw style.

Comment

yo jim,
                i have two san dimas graphic soloists, one with a floyd, one with a kahler. the kahler is a white one with thin red spaghetti like tiger stripes if that makes any sense at all, and the floyd is a white one with a time/ planet spacey graphic. i will get you the serial #'s and some pics.
                tommy
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Dudes, there is a Blue Jean San Dimas Soloist limited Adition on Ebay for either $499 or $599 Buy It Now, I forgot already [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

atomic are they for sale? either way post pics PLEASE

Comment

Jack, that is actually an LTD '88, a bolt on strat, not a neck through Soloist. And, by 1988 Jackson was already in its third year of Ontario production so it's not even a San Dimas.
                      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                      Gotta get away from here.
                      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

i also have a SD soloist w/a floyd. mine has the flat spot neck which i like more than the rounds. i was trying SL-1s& SL-2s but found my SanDimas, played it & IMO it played much better. i like the feel better & the quality is great. plus i know if i EVER sell ill get what i payed for it. I just wish it had duncans & not the Jackson pickups.

Comment

hot looking axe, Shreddermon. A real smoker. I don't care what some people around here say about sharkfins *cough*Newc*cough* I reckon your Soloist is the sh!t [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks for the compliment, VG. Yeah, I've always preferred the "clean" look w/out `fins. Especially on strat-shapes, like the Soloist. They look great on RRs, KVs, KEs, etc., though. Might have to get me one of them, someday. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

My old SD Soloist had a 'flat spot' on the back of the neck, also. The neck was relatively thin--more so than the Charvel neckthrus, at least. Alas, the guitar was stolen years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X