Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TonePros TOM bridge, direct replacement for Gotoh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TonePros TOM bridge, direct replacement for Gotoh?

The Warmoth Les Paul bodies are routed for this Gotoh TOM bridge:

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/brid...s_tune_o_matic

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/brid...ge_Diagram.pdf

But let's say that I don't want to order this Gotoh bridge, and instead, I want a TonePros TOM bridge. Which of these TonePros is a direct replacement for the Gotoh-drilled Warmoth body?

http://www.tonepros.com/TonePros%20Specs.pdf

I wanna make sure I have the right stud spacing, string/saddle spacing, bridge height, radius, and all that jazz. I'm in the info gathering stage so your help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't really understand those schematics... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks again. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Same question posed to the stop tailpiece as well... is the TonePros tailpiece a direct replacement for the Gotoh one?

Re: TonePros TOM bridge, direct replacement for Gotoh?

Should be - from what I've been told, the TonePros TOMs are the standard Gotoh pot-metal bridges with those senseless screws in them.

Honestly, if your tunamagic bridge is such a POS that it slides and rattles under full string tension, then I can see it, but since only the crappiest of crap guitars would have such a bridge, I'm thinking that putting an expensive bridge like the TP on a guitar like that is like putting an elevator in a sh1thouse.

Sorry, but I for one don't buy the hype.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: TonePros TOM bridge, direct replacement for Gotoh?

[ QUOTE ]
      Should be - from what I've been told, the TonePros TOMs are the standard Gotoh pot-metal bridges with those senseless screws in them.
      Sorry, but I for one don't buy the hype.

Newc

[/ QUOTE ]

They are made by Gotoh. I´ve tried them, and while the tonal effect is minimal (but noticable), it´s not worth 120$ IMO.

Add onto that TonePros being owned by WD Music products and I have no reason whatsoever to buy one, solely based on WDs business practices. Things like the "lipstick trademark" lose me as a customer instantly and irrevocably, Dimarzio and Ruby Tubes/magic parts are in the same boat (And I endorsed these until the Lawsuit against Paul Ruby /Ruby amplifiers), as is Celestion (Chinese production) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Re: TonePros TOM bridge, direct replacement for Go

I really like the Tone Pros bridges and tailpeice for one very important reason! You can remove all the strings from the guitar and the friggen tail and bridge don't fall off!
        THAT is the stupidest design in history and should have been fixed 25+ years ago. That reason alone makes the Tone Pros worth every penny to me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I really like the Tone Pros bridges and tailpeice for one very important reason! You can remove all the strings from the guitar and the friggen tail and bridge don't fall off!
          THAT is the stupidest design in history and should have been fixed 25+ years ago. That reason alone makes the Tone Pros worth every penny to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Yes, and for guys like you, Floyd Rose should have put in a "built-in" kickstand on his trem so it didn't chip the paint when changing strings. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] j/k bro [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I have the T3BT on a Schecter C1 (came OEM) and I dig it.
            This is not the model you want as the post size is to large.

I have an interest in these to replace some of the bridges I have on my Grecos. So... I will indulge. You don't mention if you are working with existing Gotoh hardware and replacing it on a Warmoth, or are installing hardware on a predrilled body w/o any hardware installed. I'm assuming it is the later from rereading your post but I'll cover it from both angles.

The gotoh is in metric, so you need to convert the measurements and try to find the style you need as there are a few differing types of TOM. The 2.93" post to post width converts to over 74mm...74.42, so those will be to large IMO.

The 2.913 size of the T3BP will convert to 73.9902, so IMO, this is the one that will fit closest to Gotohs existing post spacing.

The width of the Gotoh is slightly larger @ 14mm while the TP is coverted to 13.843mm, no biggie there tho.
            The height seems the same also so you're ok there.

However, the some other measurements are off and this is where it gets to be a little more sticky. The post hole diameters are different between the two. The TP converts .175" dia to 4.445mm while the Gotoh says it is 6.5mm.
            However, I think the greatest problem you'll encounter is with the posts themselves unless you are installing new sleeves as well. The Gotoh posts are large, they actually match the T3BT post width screwing into the body provided they are of similar thread pitch. But those posts will not work for the T3BP.

Initially, it looks like the Gotoh posts are the ones you'll have to stay with unless you pull the threaded sleeve inserts as well, but after looking further, I do not believe the Gotoh posts are going to work for the TP bridge as well. If it doesn't have the Gotoh installed and you are working with a raw body, you could make it work w/o much modification provided the post sleeves are similar.

You need to convert the rest of the post measurements to determine for sure if this will meet your needs. It it is good school project for ya. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I would say they are not direct replacements just based upon the differing specs. The Gotoh post dia is 8mm where the bridge rests, but the weird thing is that the bridge specs out to a 6.5mm dia, [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]. The TP converts to a 3.96mm post dia for the same dia and a .4445 hole size.

Unless I'm reading these prints wrong (which I could very well be) I would conclude the Gotoh posts will not work for the TP bridge either and the TP posts will not interchange into the Gotoh sleeves. You'll need to pull all the Gotoh hardware if you already have it installed and probably do a little mod to make it work. [img]/images/graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

It looks like the Gotoh sleeve is 11.3mm dia and the TP converts 2.78" to 7.0612mm. That is small negligible difference in outside sleeve diameter of about 4mm but you'll probably need to plug and redrill the existing warmoth drilled hole if I'm reading this right.

Maybe you can have Warmoth drill them for the TP specs for a nominal charge. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Yes, and for guys like you, Floyd Rose should have put in a "built-in" kickstand on his trem so it didn't chip the paint when changing strings. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] j/k bro [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
              [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I guess if I was one of those "Floating Trem Weenies" I'd have to worry about that.
                Alas, I'm WAY too manly for that... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I guess if I was one of those "Floating Trem Weenies" I'd have to worry about that.
                  Alas, I'm WAY too manly for that... [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  Dave ->

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow...you guys bought that...Cool! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Actually Chuck, I was just being nice and trying to make YOU feel better. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
                        Dave ->

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I´ll try to let you down easily.....NOT!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Man...tough room!

Comment

Hey wait a minute, I'm one of those floating trem weenies! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X