Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid EMG question - Me growing ever more insane!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid EMG question - Me growing ever more insane!

I checked EMG's FAQ page to make sure that this question wasn't covered. So I'm asking it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Let's say I have an SLSMG, which has dual hums, three-way blade switch, master volume, and master tone.

I want concentric controls so that I can have separate volume+tone controls for each pickup, like a Les Paul, except confined to two control holes.

Let's say I want EMG-89 pickups in the bridge and neck for that ultra-versatility of being able to split the hum into single coil mode. That would mean I need the EMG-89 long-shaft pot thing that allows splitting when you push/pull the knob itself.

So is there such a thing as a concentric pot so that I can have volume+tone AND be able to split the EMG-89s by pushing/pulling the knob? Basically, three knobs in one... a push-pull concentric knob... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I know it would be so much easier on a Les Paul since it has four knobs where the volumes can be push-pull knobs for each EMG-89, but I'm keeping my options open and Jackson doesn't have four-knobbed guitars... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks for your help. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Stupid EMG question - Me growing ever more insane!

You can use push-pull pots to act as a coil split/volume control, but as for the tone control...nope. Why do you want a tone control anyway? Isn't that what the amp's for?
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Re: Stupid EMG question - Me growing ever more ins

I've found that I am growing to use the tone control, making full use of all the features of a guitar... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I know that a push-pull can be used as a volume, as I've had that on my KE3 that I sold to Flux. It was killer but it was also simple... the one volume knob was a master volume that could also split the neck EMG-89. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Ehhh, better get four knobs like a Les Paul then. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm also not sure you can get concentric pots in 50K. I haven't seen them.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Hmmm, never heard of 50k pots. I know that the EMGs use 25k pots, unless the push-pull one is rated at 50k and is a MUST for the EMG-89... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

what Is an 89? is it an 81 with a coil tap? or does it put out a different sound?

Hey, NOTP, why don't you maybe route out two more holes for the SLS?

Comment

EMG-89 is an EMG-85 and EMG-SA in one single housing. The single coil mode can be activated via a push-pull volume pot or a mini-switch toggle thing.

Routing? Nahhh... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I don't have the tools, nor the know-how, to do such a thing... I want to stay as cheap as possible... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey NOTP There is a push pull pot from EMG as a splitter but the concentric does not exist for EMG you will need to Drill 2 more holes for the set up your looking for , I just had this done for my RR7 each hum has it's own V/T pot the neck has the splitter on the tone pot so I can go with a Hum Single set up even for a 7 string it's still my favorite to go with.
                According To The Prophecy

Comment

damn those 89's sound pretty sweet. i wonder what EMG's look like under the covers...

but yeah, i definitely hear you NOTP, on being cheap, lol.

then again, you can tear your SLS up like Chris Holmes! No control plate, completely open air control cavity!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    damn those 89's sound pretty sweet. i wonder what EMG's look like under the covers.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Having destroyed one I can tell you: Exactly like a normal pickup, except that there´s electronics (the preamp) on the bottom [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Hey NOTP There is a push pull pot from EMG as a splitter but the concentric does not exist for EMG

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Concentric pots certainly do exist for EMG... for their bass pickups. You can use any of their circuits and accessories available for bass also on a guitar. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes, Toe, But not a concentric Push-Pull, which is what NOTP would need [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Good point. Though, he could always use the concentrics for the volumes and tones, just get mini toggle switches to engage the 89's single coil mode. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm pretty sure my mate has his Jem setup so that when he backs off the volume to a certain point, it actually splits his bridge pickup... so, at 10 it's full volume on both coils, as you wind it of to around 8 or so, it's full volume on one coil. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but it's a pretty handy idea... might solve your problem.

Cheers,
                            Steve.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I'm pretty sure my mate has his Jem setup so that when he backs off the volume to a certain point, it actually splits his bridge pickup... so, at 10 it's full volume on both coils, as you wind it of to around 8 or so, it's full volume on one coil. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but it's a pretty handy idea... might solve your problem.

Cheers,
                              Steve.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a feeling it´s not a Volume knob, but what we @ the Duncan forum refer to as a "Spin-A-Split". It´s actually a variable coil split, but it only works on 4 wire humbuckers or tapped single coils ("Spin-A-Tap"). Unless of course it´s a spin a split/Volume on a Piggyback Pot (Read: Concentric with only one knob for both pots) "behind" the volume control....

The EMG 89 works differently. It´s actually 2 pickups within one casing, and that´s where the problem lies.

Although come to think of it, you may be able to use a "Spin-A-Split" as a VARIABLE "selector" on an 89, to the point of actually having a Neck Single coil AND Humbucker on at the same time..... I´ll ponder this a bit [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X