Well, after a year and a half...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, after a year and a half...

...My CS 7 string Soloist finally arrived. I will admit I approached the day with both joy and trepidation, as this guitar has become a source of considerable strain in my life. (Long story.)

Jackson Custom Shop guitars are worth the wait. Period. This is the best sounding and playing guitar I've ever owned, period - and I have two '80s Dinkys that I play regularly. A feature recap:

7 string Soloist, string-thru/tunomatic with SLS 4+3 headstock and Sperzels. (Which, BTW, are awesome - this is my first guitar with them.)

Maple neck, alder body, quilt top in trans black. Neck back is oiled - smooth as the proverbial baby's behind, and super-fast.

22 fret Ebony board, with full binding, and Abalone Pirhana inlays. Jumbo frets - a little bigger than the ones on my '80s Dinkys. It's also got the scallop under the heel, like the Pro Soloists had - is that on all the new Soloists? (I haven't seen one in a while...)

Pickups are SD, a JB 7 at the bridge and a Jazz 7 at the neck. I understand now why this combo is so popular - I have '59s in my other guitars - as it sounds very "scooped" and sweet with the toggle in the middle position, and both pickups on their own are very articulate - the JB seems a bit more so than the six string version, although the tone is about as close as you can get - maybe a little less output, but the same tone. I like it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The low B is clean, and is much more defined than on any bolt-on 7 string I've heard - the neck-thru makes a big difference in this department, apparently. Of course, it could just be the quality of the guitar, comparatively. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The trans black is gorgeous, and the Pirhanas give a little classier than dot-neck feel, while not being the full 'fins. I think they look cool.

Somehow, I think my other guitars aren't going to be played much. We're recording in the next couple of weeks, so I'll let everyone know how that goes.

If Jackson would make this guitar as a limited-run production model, with 'fins, they'd sell all of them, IMO - including another to me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Re: Well, after a year and a half...

Hey aren't you forgeting something? Pics? lol Congrats on the guitar Mike. I'm sure all of the board would love to see pics of your new axe and Matt's when you guy's get the chance to take some. The new Soloists have what Jackson calls a heelless design. It's not scalloped like yours but the heel doesn't extend as far forward as the older Soloists.
    We must!
    We must!
    We must increase the bust!
    The bigger the better!
    The tighter the sweater!
    The boys are counting on us!

Comment

That sounds badass dude. Yeah, pics are definitely in order.

Comment

PICS! PICS! PICS!

Comment

Division will be in the studio in 2 weeks doing a few tribute tracks. I have my Dad's digital camera at my house right now, so I'll make sure to take pictures of all of our CS guitars during the recording process...

BTW, Mike's soloist is damn near perfect, except the body shape, passive pickups, lack of two frets and the oiled neck! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, it does sound awesome, and the clean sound is amazing. By far the best clean sound of any of his guitars and the crunch sound is easily as good as his #1 dinky.

[ December 04, 2002, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Matt Crooks ]
          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Congrats man, can't wait to see pics!

Comment

I think I speak for everybody when I say PICS PICS PICS PICS

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Crooks:
                Division will be in the studio in 2 weeks doing a few tribute tracks. I have my Dad's digital camera at my house right now, so I'll make sure to take pictures of all of our CS guitars during the recording process...
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Matt Matt Matt... Screw that [img]graemlins/thebirds.gif[/img] ! If you've got the digital camera NOW, we demand pics NOW!!!!! hahahah

Comment

22 frets? So it's a rhythm instrument then.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sounds seriously cool, eaeolian (&lt;- had to do it). Looking forward to pics, especially after hearing about it for so long. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

btw, Are the new tribute tracks going to be on the Division site?
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Sounds sweet! Pics are a must soon.

Comment

Yeah, sounds cool and all, but we want pics of the sweet Soloist and the rootbeer Rhoads now!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sorry, the tribute tracks won't be on the website, since they are works-for-hire and we won't own them. However, we will post links to where you can buy them [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

We should be able to post some short clips however.

Comment

I can't believe people post about getting their new guitar and don't have pictures. That's just unacceptable. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          Congratulations Michael [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

sweet man, sounds like a great axe.

hey, matt, werent you going to have pics, like, back in august or something? ahh well, im sure we've all had the mental picture in our heads for a while now... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

we are talking about the rootbeer rhoads right? ive been outta the action here for a while [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, I was supposed to do that a while ago. Things have been real busy for me, and until recently all I had was a film camera, and scanning in pictures is a PITA...

There will be pictures soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X