Speaker Cabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker Cabs

I'm thinking of taking two of the speakers out of my 4x12 and getting another inclosuer and making a 2x12 with them. That way I would have technically 2 2x12 cabs, being able to use the smaller one to transport easy or just keep in my room, but have the other one for gigs o r whatever.

Would it do anything to use the 4x12 enclosure with only 2 speakers in it? If I really needed , I could stack the two together and still just have the 4 speakers, but two would be raised up closere to ear level and they would be lighter than just the one 4x12.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Re: Speaker Cabs

I think you may lose sound clarity, may lose a lot of tightness. I personally like opened back cabs.... In which case I think you would probably be fine. Depends on the sound you like... the more open the cab the more loose the sound.

Maybe you can find some cheap 12" speakers at something like Radio Shack and put them in the cab not hooked up. or make a wood filler, a piece of sheet metal cut to fit...

Hope this helps a little.

Comment

The 2x12 will have more low end and punch with a closed back, you might find that to your liking. I think your 4x12 however will lose punch, since the're only two speakers pressuring the cab instead of two. It may even start sounding a little hollow and dull. I personally wouldn't do it, too risky IMO

Comment

My choice would be to leave the 4X12 alone and get a 2X12 in addition to that.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I personally like opened back cabs.... In which case I think you would probably be fine. Depends on the sound you like... the more open the cab the more loose the sound.

[/ QUOTE ]
          I have a 2x12 custom built cabinet I made with (2) Celestion G12T-75's in it. What do you mean when you say it makes the sound loose? I can remove the back but I put about 20 screws in the back so it could take awhile to remove it.

Comment

Working...
          X