SL-2H Vs. SL1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL-2H Vs. SL1?

I'm contemplating buying one of these 2 USA guitars. To those who've owned or played these axes, which one has more Spinal Tap-like sustain (listen, can you hear it?)? LOL! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

I've played the SL2H and it rocked, but they didn't have an SL1 in stock to demo. I'll probably mail order it anyway, yet when parting w/this kind of scratch, I want to do my homework. Any opinions would be appreciated. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ December 02, 2002, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Y&T ]

Re: SL-2H Vs. SL1?

My SL2 has tone all over the SL1 that I have. Not to say the SL1 sucks because it dont. The SL@ just sounds a little throatier and fatter and the SL! is just a little thinner. The SL1 is an early 02' guitar while the SL@ is a late 01'.

Hope that helps,

Comment

Thanks for the tid bits lord. I like your site and your righteous Gee-tar collection. Nice Strats!

I hear you when it comes to vintage 30's. I put them in my 4x12 and it's really smooth.

Comment

I have a few SL1's and one SL2, there's just something I really don't like about the SL2, not sure what it is, but I'm always playin my pile SL1.. The SL2 is nice, but it seems to be missing something...

Pat

Comment

Hey Stang
          I hear ya. I think the POS of yours and the Blood Drip of mine just happen to be Wednesday guitars! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Can anyone recommend a reputable Jackson USA dealer? I've seen a few of them on-line and I'm curious where others found the best prices, service, etc. What about colors? Are the trans or burst fineshes more desirable, hence more expen$ive?
            Thanks

[ December 03, 2002, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Y&T ]

Comment

The SL-1 and SL-2 are identical in feel, tone, and playability minus the fact that the latter is a dual hum model. Same neck, same woods, same hardware, same pickup, no different in those regards.
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Joe,

I dis-agree in a big way bro, the SL2 is a different feel than the SL1's I have. In theory, you ARE correct, but not in "my" case.

I'll elaborate more later...

Pat

[ December 03, 2002, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: P_Stang ]

Comment

Maybe you do, but I have more SL-1's and SL2H's than most on this board. But, because the last time I divulged the number of pieces in my collection some people here went hogwild, I will not tell you the actual number. [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] But the SL1 has the exact same neck profile. I would go so far as to say that both models start out their lives identically until routed for the pickups. I've got way more than one of each model and can tell you that if you came on over and played each model of mine in the dark you would be fooled so easy it wouldn't be funny. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

hey Y&T i can save you a bundle of dough, buy my jackson shannon soloist(SL1 style)? [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    thanks
                    jon

Comment

dude the shannon is sweet

Comment

I am in total agreement with Stang on this one. I have one of each and they definately feel different from one another.

Comment

Charvel 750,

I cannot and won't refute your authority on these guitars. However I will say that I had a real interesting conversation with Tim at the custom shop one day. He told me that no neck is ever exactly the same and that most people would not be able to tell the difference. I think most of us probably would be easily fooled if we were to come to your home and play your guitars but if you came to my home and blindfolded me I could tell you whether I was playing my SL2 or my SL1 just by the feel of the neck alone because I play mine everyday.

Comment

My Opinion? The SL1 can produce a tone more like the Fender Strat, (ie, single coils) if your into the Fender sound, the SL2 will not have this tonal sound.. Me I'm a SL2 guy all the way! But that is just me! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Karl.

Comment

Good points from all. But remember, the SL2H can have two push/pull pots installed to split the humbuckers so you can get some single coil quack. Some (not all) of the SH-1 (59's) pickups are single conductor so you may not have the option, but the TB-4's are all splittable. Makes for a very versatile guitar. When the pot is pulled up the pickup is essentially a single coil, when pushed down it's full humbucking.

Comment

Working...
                              X