Floyd Copies.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Copies.......

Hey Guys, Is there a Floyd copy that you use when building a project or do you pony up the money for the real thing? Also, can you paint a unit with any luck? Maybe powdercoat? What do you think? Thanks ..........
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Re: Floyd Copies.......

I personally don't have any problems with the JT580LP trem on the current Jacksons, but I do prefer the feel of an Original Floyd Rose. If you do want a virtually identical licensed Floyd, locate a JT590 Schaller Floyd or other licensed Schaller Floyds. Apparently the Schallers are built in the same German factory as the OFRs.

Comment

Yeah. What he said. But I (myself) would find a real one and if I decide to off the guitar to someone else, keep the floyd. I actually like the originals the best. Not the one with the little bottle cap thingie, but the old 80's ones with the threaded bar.

Quite a few years ago, I was going to buy a Floyd for a particular guitar. While at the store, I spotted this old Kramer focus that already had the "old style" which is what I wanted anyway. It was $30 more to get the whole guitar with the old floyd. I put that on an HRR strat and put the Kahler on the focus.

The focus later got a chandler neck and was even later traded in. The original "original" floyd is still on the HRR strat which is still mine.

Comment

Ok, I'm in the same situation-is there a Licensed Floyd that someone here can recommend? I can't really shell out 100-150 bucks for an OFR or Schaller for an 80 dollar project guitar. Will the 580's fit a standard OFR or Schaller route?

Comment

I agree on the JT-590 over the 580. You should be able to find something on ebay that works for you for around $50 to $60....

Heres a Jackson 590 on ebay:
          Jackson JT590

Here's a Schaller clone:
          Mighty Mite schaller type

Here's a jackson 580:
          580 in chrome

another 580:
          580 in chrome

Comment

Does your project guitar body have a recess for the Floyd? If it does the OFR block where the springs attach will need to be swapped out for a shorter block, also the string locking bolts may be to long and hit the rear edge of the route. If you decide to go with a Schaller style look for one that is stamped made in Germany. The stamp would be where the bar attaches.
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

Try http://www.chrisguitars.com/ He's got a string through for $35. Plus, he's a good guy.

Comment

I put a Mighty Might Floyd in my PS4 and it's great! It feels and performs as well as my OFR loaded guitars.
                I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I agree on the JT-590 over the 580. You should be able to find something on ebay that works for you for around $50 to $60....

Heres a Jackson 590 on ebay:
                  Jackson JT590

Here's a Schaller clone:
                  Mighty Mite schaller type

Here's a jackson 580:
                  580 in chrome

another 580:
                  580 in chrome

[/ QUOTE ]

MD, that´s not a Schaller Made JT-590 but the JT-500 clone used on performers and others. The schallers have "made in Germany" stamped into the baseplate between the arm and the post, and use the Collared arm that Original Floyds use, not the screw in type that the 500 uses. Schallers also use the Same blocks as an OFR, with the length stamped on them. The "smudged" stamping of Jackson on the bass side of the plate is the other telltale mark, the Schallers are much more "precise" with the lettering. They do look identical otherwise, though,

The one you posted is essentially the same as the Mighty Mite trem underneath [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Hi,
                    well, I've got this little problem. My PCS Dinky had a Schaller FR, but when adjusting the bridge (intonation) I tightened my high-E saddle a little too much and the screw keeps spinning, not locking the saddle at all. While I was in NY, I bought an OFR for 200$ (about half of the European price) since they told me on this board (over 2 years aga btw) that you couldn't get spare parts for the Schaller. But when I installed the OFR, it didn't fit 100%. Are there different kinds of OFR?
                    Now, I'd like to put the Schaller back in. What do I have to replace? Is it the 'baseplate' where the saddles ar mounted on? Or could I fix it in another way? Any tips?
                    Or should I go and look to swap the OFR with another model OFR (if this exists)?
                    The problem with the OFR is that that metal block where the strings are attached to, is too long, I can't close that cavity with the plate, so I can't pull the FR backwards. Also, the 'screws' that serve to lock the saddles are too long, so I can't really pull the FR backwards a lot due to this, too. It hits the body very quickly, while de Schaller 'screws' fit in this cavity, with a rubber at the bottom (if you know what I mean). So the screws of the OFR are longer than the edge of that cavity.

phewww, hope you guys know what I mean.
                    Every hint welcome,
                    thanks

Comment

Iced Dragon, check out this sticky Tremolo Info Project

Also, if your block is too long you can buy a shorter one, or cut (saw) the one you have to fit. Remember to re-drill the small holes in the block, where the springs attach.
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

thanks. I'm a little short on money so buying a new one isn't an option and sawing...ehm..

Comment

You can use the shorter string locking screws on the OFR.Sawing off a portion of the sustain block is not hard, a dremel tool will do the job.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            You can use the shorter string locking screws on the OFR.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thicker locking bolts from a JT-580 and JT-590 will not fit the baseplate of the Floyd Rose Original. They are too fat.
                            Henrik
                            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

you should be able to switch the block from the old schaller right in, shouldn't you?

Comment

Working...
                              X