DK1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK1

I am looking at a late 90's DK1 and wanted opinions on its' neck. I play an RR1 and 2 neck through soloists. I've never played a DK1. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Thanks

Re: DK1

The DK-1 neck is very much like the neck through Jackson in both playability and feel. If you were in a dark room you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The 1994 Jackson catalog describes the Dinky as a "detachable neck version of the Soloist for the player who wants all the upscale features normally associated with our through neck guitars but the convenience of a bolt on." The Dinky is really a "bolt on Soloist." The original DK-1 had only 22 frets though.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Is that just for the older DK1s? I thought that the newer ones had significantly thinner necks as in very close to the specs on the KV2. I have a KV2 and two soloists and there is a major difference in the feel between those necks. Also what year would that transition have taken place? Sorry for all the questions and no answers but I have been thinking about a CS DK1.

Comment

I played both newer versions of the DK1 and SL1 and the DK1 neck is thinner and flatter, I like the SL1 neck better, but I like both. The newer, not sure about 1999, but the new DK1`s have the longer scale and 2 EMG Humbuckers, the older ones had the short scale with 1 Hum and 2 single coil, non-active. What does the 1999 have? Jack.

Comment

Thanks guys. The one I am looking at is a '97, 22 fret, H/S/S. I knew they changed the neck at some point but wasn't sure when. I guess the change took place around '98 or '99.

Comment

The mid 90's Dinky USA is identical to the neck through of the era in terms of neck feel and playability. Once the Dinky USA went to dual hum (2000?) I am not qualified to comment as I've never played one.

Comment

Oh, one more thing, Jack. No Dinky was ever built with a "short scale" or 24 3/4 inch scale length. The only bolt ons with that scale were the much revered Fusions.

Comment

Sounds good. I'm going to give it a shot as I think the profile will suit.

Comment

Jack, I think you're getting confused with the older DK1s having 22 frets and the current ones having 24. As Charvel750 said, they have always been 25 1/2" scale
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Thanks guys, I stand corrected [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I have a 1995 Dinky Custom, made in Ontario. It plays great and very fast. The catalog describes it as the bolt-on version of the soloist custom. Afaik, production Soloists always have painted necks, whereas USA Dinkys have oil finished necks. According to the catalogs, the Dinky necks always where thinner than the Soloist necks.

My 1995 Dinky Custom (measurements taken by myself)
                      24 frets
                      Nut width: 1 11/16"
                      Thickness at 1st fret: 19.25mm (.757")
                      Thickness at 3rd fret: 19.2mm (.755")
                      Thickness at 12th fret: 20.25mm (.797")

Dinky Custom 1994/1995 catalog specs
                      24 frets
                      Thickness at 1st fret: 19mm (.748")
                      Thickness at 12th fret: 20.5mm (.807")

Soloist Custom 1994/1995 catalog specs
                      24 frets
                      Thickness at 1st fret: 19.5mm (.767")
                      Thickness at 12th fret: 22mm (.866")

DK1 1996-1998 catalog specs
                      22 frets
                      Thickness: not specified

SL1 1996-2000 catalog specs
                      24 frets
                      Thickness: not specified

Dinky DK1 2002 catalog specs
                      24 frets
                      Thickness at 3rd fret: .750"
                      Thickness at 12th fret: .810"

SL1 & SL2H 2001/2002 catalog specs
                      24 frets
                      Thickness at 3rd fret: .790"
                      Thickness at 12th fret: .850"

[ December 02, 2002, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Toby ]

Comment

Wow! This board rocks! Thanks for the run down Toby. I decided to get the DK1. I'll post pics when it arrives. Thanks for the input guys.
                        plexi

Comment

Yea thanks Toby I knew they specd out pretty much like that but couldnt find the info and didnt want to make an a@@ out of myself by mis quoting. Also no DK1s in my house. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

She arrived today! A BRAND NEW(NOS) 1997 Jackson DK1,high gloss black w/original Floyd and case with all original tags including price tag from the now defunct store and all the original Jackson paperwork and the signed Jackson insp.tag dated 9/97. All for $600.00. I was a little leery of this deal but gave it a shot and am totally amazed. Apparently the seller owned a music shop and sold out back in '97 and had some of the inventory put in storage. Sometimes you go with your gut and win.

Comment

outstanding, Plexi. Now let's get some pics!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X