1985 San Dimas Randy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 San Dimas Randy

I was offered to buy 1985 San Dimas custom shop randy rhoads with Kahler trem. Shampagne pinky. Guide me!!!

Re: 1985 San Dimas Randy

What kinda shape is it in?
    How much does he want?

Usually SD Rhoads' go for $300-$800 depending on condition, rarity, and the buyer.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Dunno about shape, havent seen it yet. Would you recommend a newer one?

Comment

Do you like Kahlers? If not then pass.

Comment

In 85 all USA-made Jacksons were Custom Shop models - there was no real production model available like the USA Select series.
          I think the Student series was a semi-production series (rosewood boards, dot inlays, some with graphics, no binding) but as for a full-on production series, I really don't think so.
          Given that Kramer had exclusive rights to Floyds in 85, if you wanted a Jackson with a Floyd, you had to supply it directly from a Kramer guitar.
          Since Kahler didn't have an exclusive deal with anyone, you could buy the units in stores and have them installed without paying either a licensing fee to Kramer or without buying a new Kramer just for the Floyd. Hence, you see a lot of San Dimas Jacksons with Kahlers.

Anyways, I can't guide you on whether to buy or not until I know what kinda condition it's in - it could be a total junker.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Is this the one that's been eBay for 4 months or so?

Newc said it all there bro!

Pat

Comment

Thanx for info. I think I will pass this one for this time.

Comment

I have a 1985 Randy Rhoads Custom (with a stock Floyd, though) and it's a killer guitar! If you really wanted to, you could have the Kahler replaced with a Floyd Rose.

Comment

Newc - Maybe I am confused, but I believe that you got your facts mixed up. Yes Kramer did have the rights to Floyd Rose until the late 80's. If you wanted a Floyd on your Jackson, you had to buy one, not from Kramer, but from any dealer that carried them. They did have Kramer all over the Floyd box, like it says Fender all over it now. As far as Kahlers, Jackson, as well as almost every other guitar company of the day (except Kramer), used them, and Kahler used their names in their endorsement ads. You could get a Kahler on a Jackson as a stock option. It was probably even the default bridge for years. That is why you see so many with Kahlers, and so few early ones with Floyds. Customers never had to supply a Kahler. I know that in some cases (many) work orders state that the Floyd trem was customer supplied. I have my doubts about all of them coming from customers, though. While Floyds on SD guitars are rare, there are quite a few out there, too many for customers to have supplied all of those Floyds, IMO. I think that Jackson might have cheated a little, back in the day.

Comment

my SD soloist has a FACTORY OFR, & according to Jackson its original. its was also ordered for/by SamAsh , could SamAsh given Jackson a bunch of OFRs for guitars they ordered.

Comment

Yeah Sams Ass could have supplied the Floyds for thier run. However not likely. What probably hapened is, if necassaery Sam Ash management paid the necasary licensing fees t have it done that way. Jackson may have had to pay some fees to Kramer for the use of them at the time an Ash just reimburesed them to do it. Just a theory.
                      Gil

Comment

A lot of the Floyds you see on San Dimas Charvels and Jacksons were done aftermarket, meaning the owner had the guitar modified with the Floyd. They could come stock with a Kahler or vintage-style trem, but the owner would have that taken out and have the guitar modded for a Floyd, and a Floyd installed. Some came stock, like on my Rhoads, though. As for the Kahlers vs. Floyd, yeah, Kramer had the exclusive rights to the Floyds, but you could get them at a dealer, just like Metalcop said. Kahlers were stock on lots of Charvel/Jacksons, Hamer, Westone, even Fender and Gibsons in the day. I think that's what Newc was trying to say, but I think he worded it a bit wrong and made the explaination more complicated than needed.

Comment

From past conversations with Jackson/Charvel as early as 1984,you could order any guitar with a floyd,however if they did not have a floyd on hand you had to provide them with one. Also some retailers had a large degree of success with the custom built Jacksons and Charvels with Floyds so to ensure future deliveries of guitars with floyds they were instructed to supply the floyds within a reasonable time frame of their order to the delivery date. Yes there was a license problem,but the jist of this was Jackson would not be able to purchase the Floyds at a wholesale discount,Kramers were also hot and price margins were to close for Kramer to help them out being such close rivals. Hence most of the Floyds the Jackson factory did supply came from local music retailers......Nuff said.

Comment

I agree that a lot of guitars have been modded to accept Floyds (from vintage trems and Kahlers). However the majority of Floyded guitars were factory stock, and there are quite a few of them kicking around. I never thought of the the dealer aspect. Back then (and today for that matter) some dealers would custom order Jacksons to their specs just to have on hand and sell. Not all of them were custom ordered to the customers specs, rather a lot of them were made to the dealers specs. So it stands to reason that they could specify Floyds on any number of them and simply supply the Floyds themselves to Jackson. That could help to explain how so many Jacksons with Floyds were produced.

Comment

Going back to the top,I have the same question.I've been offered a '85 SD RR1 with dots (student?)in white with a Kahler and recently EMG's added.It's white and great condition,two very small chips on long wing.Has OHSC.It plays excellent.He'd like $800.Too much or fair?I've never played any higher end RR's but it smokes my Gibson V's and holds up well against my 2 '74 Ibanez V's.(I hope Ibanez isn't a bad word here)I have no problem dropping the 8 bills for it,thats how much I like it but could I do better for that same price?Thanks for any advice.
                              Chris
                              My Gear

Comment

Working...
                              X