Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Custom or Custom 5?

Hey folks...
    For years I've been using the Duncan '59/Custom Custom combination in all of my guitars, and it's served me well. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] But I recently played a friend's Gibson V through my rig that had a Duncan Custom in the bridge, and I liked it more than the Custom Custom. I mentioned that, and the guy said "if you like that one, you should hear the Custom 5!". Any opinions between the Custom and the Custom 5?
    Thanks!

Re: Duncan Custom or Custom 5?

I think the difference between the two are subtle and may very well be "lost" in other tonal factors in different guitars. Anyway, i think the SH-5 has a bit more well defined attack and aggressive punch (in a good way) compared to the SH-14.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

<font color="yellow">I'm a big fan of the Duncan Custom myself....although I haven't heard a Custom-Custom tho [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

But hey, they're Duncan's...ya can't go wrong [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

</font>

Comment

I have a Custom in my Lado, and it's by far the best pickup I have ever tried. I like it better than my Dimebucker even. It really sounds powerful, and dynamic.

The Custom 5 is not as bright, and has a slightly lower output.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The Custom has been my #1 pickup for many years.
          The Custom 5 has more scooped mids and bigger bottom. To my ears, the highs aren't as sweet as the Custom's, either.

Comment

Custom Custom all the way, I put one in the Carvin dc125 I had that I sold, it was sweet. It had every tone In was trying to find, Awsome thru a 5150
            I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

The Custom Custom (hereafter known as the Custom2) has a big mid spike and not nearly as much top or bottom.
              Apparently thats what your using now, so just for reference...

Comment

The Custom 5 is overall brighter, more vintage sounding, more open. The Custom is tight, agressive, more transperant for harmonics, chunkier/beefier. They're about equal in output but sound very different. I personally think the Custom retains clarity a lot better

Comment

Working...
                X