question for Les Paul experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for Les Paul experts

A buddy of mine is looking into getting a Les Paul, either a Gibson or an Epiphone. The Custom Epi he likes has those gold, plated pickups. I know absolutely ZERO about LPs. He wants to know if those gold plates can be removed, the pickups changed out for somwthing like a Duncan JB, and the plate(s) put back on over the replaced pickup. He anticipates not liking the stock pups but would like to keep the gold pickup cover. I'm assuming it's a cover and not actually a functional part of the pickup. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: question for Les Paul experts

The covers are removeable and are held on with solder. All he has to do is desolder the cover from the frame and pull them off. He should do it slow and easy as some companies pot the pickup in the cover and the wax can act like glue.

Comment

Or he can just order a JB with a gold cover!!

Comment

Chuck, do they make the JB with the gold cover? Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, he he. If I had any LP experience, I could answer these questions but I guess I've purposefully avoided LPs for the last 27 years. Although recently, I've been wanting to pick one up. Tell me, are the Epiphone LPs decent guitars when compared to the Gibson. I've been curious whether the Epi LP is made of the same woods, construction techniques, electronics, etc.

Comment

Yes, you can get several Duncans with gold covers.

The Epi's are crap compared to a real Gibson. Not just my opinion...fact.

There will be many upset Epi owners about to chime in here proclaiming that "I played Gibson's in the GC where I bought my Epi and the Epi was every bit the guitar, blah blah blah..."

Read between the lines. If they had the money, almost every one of them would have bought the Real Thing instead of the Cheap Copy.

Comment

You can order you Duncans with gold covers. My friend has them in his LPC. The Epi's are ok, but not in the same league as the real thing. I have owned an Epi standard and custom and have a real LPC. The Gibson is much nicer. If your friend is on a budget the Epi will work well. They play nice and sound good.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I've been curious whether the Epi LP is made of the same woods, construction techniques, electronics, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
              I don't know about all the Epi models, but I know the Custom has an alder top compared to the real Gibson LP Custom with maple top.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Tom, I have worked on many Epi pickups and IMHO.. if they are potted CORRECTLY!! they sound fantastic. After all these years working on pickups I am of the opinion that the only difference between a Gibson USA pickup and an import Epi is the potting. Once you pot a Epi pickup they sound great and are dead quiet. My suggestion would be for your friend to remove the stock gold Epi pickups and have them potted. I can do it if you need it done. My guess is that he will love them afterwards.

Comment

Or Tom...tell him to buy an EPI and swap the PU's out for Gold Duncan PAF's...that way...if he doesn't like the guitar (quality or otherwise)...he's not out a lot of dough in comparison to a real Gibson LP

Comment

There are some main differences between the Epiphone and Gibson construction techniques...the top on a Gibson is solid maple, an Epiphone's is a laminate (sometimes they put a flame maple veneer on top of the laminate), the woods, pickups and hardware and as high grade on an Epiphone, the paint used on an Epiphone is polyurethane as opposed to nitrocelluose on a Gibson, and of course one is built overseas and the other is built in the USA. Then you've got fit and finish quality, setup, etc. One thing I've found though is that Epiphones are a little more consistent than Gibsons are.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      There will be many upset Epi owners about to chime in here proclaiming that "I played Gibson's in the GC where I bought my Epi and the Epi was every bit the guitar, blah blah blah..."

Read between the lines. If they had the money, almost every one of them would have bought the Real Thing instead of the Cheap Copy.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Now that's funny.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Now that's funny.

[/ QUOTE ]Funny, but pretty much true.
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I'm a FIRM believer in the saying "You get what you pay for". The Epi LP Customs are NOT in the same ballpark as most Gibsons. Anyone who thinks they're equal has been sprinkled with fairy dust or is snortin' it! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But with a few mods the Epi shines. It's already an excellent guitar as soon as you pull it outta the box. I bought my son the Epi ZW LP Custom and I was pleasantly surprised with the looks and quality. I also just had the EMG HZs in it replaced with a set of ZW EMGs which included new pots and it really kicks ass now. Actually, I liked the HZs but it needed a lil more oomph. In fact, I was so impressed with it that I bought myself an ebony Epi LP Custom to cure my itch for a LP and I love it. Quality is good and it's a joy to play. The neck on my son's ZW LP is closer to a traditional Gibby neck with my LP being a lil' slimmer. Will I mod it? Of course! That's part of the fun, right? Just look at Epi vs Gibson as you would an import Jackson such as my DK2 vs a USA select model. You get what you pay for, right? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Now, things being what they are, some may turn up their noses and smirk at the thought of an Epi. But if you're like me, your budget restricts you from getting or you just don't feel as if you're worthy of a high-end axe just yet. At least that's how I feel and probably will until my playing ability improves to the point where I can take full advantage of a nice axe. Until then, what I have fits my needs and I am extremely happy with it. When all is said and done, isn't that what matters?

Besides, Mama will have my nuts on a plate if I buy another guitar or expensive piece of gear. Somehow she thinks the $5K I've spent over the last 4 months is too much... what's she been smokin? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Me thinks someone needs to sit her down and explain the torment and reprocussions caused by GAS. Any takers? Bueller.... Bueller?

I'm done now & Epi-hater flame suit is on.... lemme have it boys and girls! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                          My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            what's she been smokin? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Me thinks someone needs to sit her down and explain the torment and reprocussions caused by GAS. Any takers?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Eh...have her call Mrs LPC.....she knows all about GAS and gear purchases [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

</font>

Comment

Working...
                            X