Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck truss rod?

Guys,
    I've decided to be brave and start adjusting truss rods on my guitars where necessary. I'm trying to turn the rod on a Charvel San Dimas re-issue (SD1) and it doesn't seem to want to move in either direction (the adjustment is at the nut on this guitar).
    I don't know exactly what size wrench is needed so I've had to try various and I thought initially I had the wrong sized key but have found one that seems pretty tight (no movement or slip against the socket in the guitar). I think this is compounded by the face that the socket is a decent way back into the neck so I can only use the long part of the wrench to reach it so I can't get as much leverage using the short end.
    I know I can use a sleeve on the wrench to apply moreforce but I don't want to force it, so has anyone got any thoughts?
    Add to this the fact that I now think I need to shim the neck rather than adjust the rod and this hasn't been too successful so far!
    Cheers
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: Stuck truss rod?

DO NOT force it. try applying pressure on the neck itself (pull back on the top of the neck) then try to loosening the truss rod. sometimes its so tight it binds applying pressure should take some of the pressure off the bolt itself. try graphite or a drop of oil. if that doesnt work take it to a tech.

Comment

Re: Stuck truss rod?

there are many things that DIY ers can do with guitars, and they screw it up, it can be fixed. A broken Truss rod is not one of them. YOu would be better off paying a tech a few bucks to get it right than to have to have a tech remove your fretboard, install a new truss rod, and replace the fretboard.

Comment

Working...
      X