22 fret spacing compared with 24 fret spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 fret spacing compared with 24 fret spacing

I couldn't find an answer using the search button. I have a model 5 and was inspired to get a fusion because I liked the neck scale on my friend's Gibson SG(24.75). Measuring, the Fusion was slightly smaller than the model 5, but longer than the SG, still. Not including the upper 2 frets, of course, just spacing from the same fret to the same fret. Does a 24 fret guitar really have bigger spacing than a 22 fret guitar? I wondered why many top end guitars(ex:older charvels) are mostly 22 frets. If not, what gives about the difference in length?

Re: 22 fret spacing compared with 24 fret spacing

if the scale length is the same, then the distance between frets will be the same, no matter the number of frets. So the distance between, say, the 12th & 13th frets will be the same, providing the scale is the same.

The spacing between the frets on a Fusion will be closer together than on your Model 5 because the Fusion has a shorter scale, not because it has 24 frets.

I'm not familiar with the dimensions of an SG, but if it is a 24 3/4" scale, it should be the same as the Fusion. The Fusions scale should be 3/4" shorter than the Model 5. Where are you measuring the guitar? Are you measuring the length of the whole guitar, or just the scale length? (Sorry if this seems a redundant question, but I'm not sure of your knowledge). To compare scales, you must measure the string length, nut-to-bridge, only. There will be some variance because the bridge saddles can be moved along the scale length to correct intonation, so if you measure from the nut to the 12th fret & then double it, you will have the scale length of the guitar.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I was measuring from the nut to the 12th fret, and various other areas from the same fret to another on both guitars. I was curious about this, because the Fusion didn't feel as tight as the Gibson first time playing it, and felt like I had to stretch more. Another thing new to me: My older Warlock NJ series('99 or so) is 24.75".

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        if the scale length is the same, then the distance between frets will be the same, no matter the number of frets. So the distance between, say, the 12th & 13th frets will be the same, providing the scale is the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is true only if the frets are the same size. A guitar with wide frets will feel more cramped than the same scale guitar with narrow frets. Compare, say, a vintage Fender Strat with short, narrow fretwire to a more modern Strat with jumbo wire. The space between the frets is smaller because the fretwire is wider.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

sure, but crown to crown, the spacing will be the same
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Quote by hollowpoint: "I couldn't find an answer using the search button."

I'm seeing more and more people putting this disclaimer at the head of their posts. That's very cool because at least racerx will know you tried every possible alternative before actually posting a new thread. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] at Ron!!!
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Yeah, till we get to the point where people say "Hey, I couldn't find anything about Lemon Oil in the Search Function..." [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And yes, Fret Crown to Fret Crown will be the same on both an SG and a Fusion.
              The distance from the direct center of the 1st and 2nd fretwires of the SG should be the same as the 1st and 2nd fretwires of the Fusion.

Of course, since the guitar is not perfectly intonatable, I'm sure you can find some examples between manufacturers where there are minute differences in fret spacing as each one pursues the "perfect" compromise between intonation points.

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                sure, but crown to crown, the spacing will be the same

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, but your finger still goes between the frets themselves, so the full width of the fret has a lot to do with the playing feel.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                X