Guitar Buffing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Buffing

I was wondering what kind of info you guys could give me on buffing a guitar, basically why and how. You always read about guitars that are for sell and seller mentions “I am sure if could be buffed out”. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    I have seen the big buffing wheels and bars that Stewart Mac sells. What about the home hobbyist, how would he go about it? Will this clean up pick swirls or any small blemishes? Also I have a few paint projects I am getting ready to start and really would like to buff out the finished product.

I found this link on Polishing.
    Just one more guitar!

Re: Guitar Buffing

Go to a local auto paint shop that sells 3M products. They sell a small 3" buffing pad that works in a hand drill, and it works great for weekend worrior jobs. Use it with 3M compounds. buffing compound will remove most pick scratches, and any larger one may have to be wet sanded out with 1500 grit them buffed out using rubbing compound before you move on to the Buffing compound. Hope this helps.

Comment

<font color="yellow"> Personally, I wouldn't use the hand-drill method [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

It will most likely burn through the clear and possibly the color/graphic due to heat and friction.

I would get (and I use this myself) a small 6" orbital buffer with the appropriate pads and compounds to buff out the guitar.

I used this advice from Sully and also Jim Shine and got terrific results.

This is just my opinion, and you can do what you want, but I wouldn't use the drill under any circumstances [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]
      </font>

Comment

Yes, those 6" handheld orbital buffers are awesome. You can get them from most auto stores for under $20. Just buy a bag of bonnets and use a quality compound like 3M or Maguires.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          <font color="yellow"> Personally, I wouldn't use the hand-drill method [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

It will most likely burn through the clear and possibly the color/graphic due to heat and friction.

I would get (and I use this myself) a small 6" orbital buffer with the appropriate pads and compounds to buff out the guitar.

I used this advice from Sully and also Jim Shine and got terrific results.

This is just my opinion, and you can do what you want, but I wouldn't use the drill under any circumstances [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]
          </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

The 3m pads I spoke of when used on low speed in a drill will give you much better results than the 6" with a bonnet ever will, but what do i know I've just been paid to refinish guitar for the last 17 years [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

Comment

Could some of you guys please post a link with pics of that $20 buffer? I think sully posted one once, but i can't find it. Thanks.

As for using a drill, i had great results by using quality foam pads mounted on a drill going approx. 900 rpm's, with 3M rubbing compounds applied, sometimes mixed with a couple of drops of water. I used light pressure and watched for heat build up, which was very minor.

(edit: i agree with RoyB)
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Timely topic... the Doug Aldrich body I just picked up could use a buff... I'm debating on it, since the paint seems thinner than normal Jackson paint (based on what I see for chips)
              Anyway - I'll post pics when she's done...

Comment

How about a car buffer? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

I've heard some of you guys talking about the "orbital" buffers in a few threads. They are only good for waxing in my opinion. They absolutely DO NOT provide the heat or friction needed to properly rub out a finish. The foam pads on drills work great on guitars. Yes, you do have to be careful not to burn-thru, but anything like this requires a little finesse and the proper compounds. If in doubt, take it to someone who is experienced and pay them to do it for you. The only exception I can think of is if your buffing out lacquer. Yes, it can be done with an orbital buffer, and you probably won't burn through the finish, but it's going to take you so many hours of buffing why not learn to do it the right way? Try it with Polys, all your gonna do is shine up the scratches! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                  X