Removing globs of glue from body??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing globs of glue from body??

I recently acquired a Coors Light Silver Bullet guitar that I plan on mounting at my home bar. The previous owner (a bar) apparently mounted it with some type of glue, liquid nails or something. I can't seem to remove the residue very well. So far I've tried Oops, gasoline & elbow grease but no luck. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the gluey buildup? Thanks for any help.....
    Jim

Re: Removing globs of glue from body??

<font color="aqua">Possibly careful use of a good heat gun (or a hair dryer) to soften the glue? </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

As budman said a hair dryer or heatgun should remove most of it (go lightly with the heat). Then you can use WD40 to remove the left over residue.

Comment

Not a whole lotta luck with the glue gun (note to self: remove plastic control covers next time) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Did help a little bit. A razor blade took off the top layer. I'll try WD40 when I get back home in a while. Thanks for the tips Dave &amp; Roy.....

Comment

Hey Jimbo I beleive he meant a Heat gun not a hot glue gun if thats what you meant you used?? I have used the hair dryer trick to do a few things myself like speeding up the drying the finish faster. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          According To The Prophecy

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I have used the hair dryer trick to do a few things myself like speeding up the drying the finish faster. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, that's just like my dad always dries his paintjobs (while we both watch the paint crack all over the surface. He doesn't give a damn...) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Nah, it was a heat gun....I gave up. Just hung it on the wall after I cleaned it up. Over night, my cat jumped up on it (I think) and knocked it on the floor. Couple chunks out of it now, not on the front though. Still looks good....

Comment

I took wax out of my carpet by lightly running a warm iron over a brown paper bag. The wax melted into the bag.

May or may not work for your guitar..
                "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

Try taking a chisel and a hammer and putting the chisel on the globs of glue, then hitting the back of it really hard with the hammer. Make sure not to hit your fingers.

Comment

Working...
                  X