Bizarre Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre Question

I figure this is like shooting for a fish at the bottom of a lake from a helicopter with a hand gun kind of question but here goes. Is there anywhere that will make me a 24 fret ebony fretboard complete with frets and sharkies?

I have a project on the drawing board, it's a RR neck thru clone that I want to lift the original rosewood scalloped (*shutters*) fretboard off and put this new one on.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Bizarre Question

"copy", not "clone" [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, Carvin offers neckthrough blanks, where you'd hack the wings off your copy and glue them onto the neck tenon.

Or you could scour Ebay for ready-made fretboards (keyword "luthier").

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ask Roy B.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If you don't want to save the Rosewood fret board you can pull the frets, and use a normal house iron to heat the board, and it will come right off. A new board can be bought from Stewmac.com, or talk to Tommy, at USA custom guitars. Good luck bro.

Comment

StewMac also has ebonizing dye.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I don't imagine you can buy a fretboard complete with frets, unless it is attached to a neck.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stew-Mac dye is a no-go for a Canadian such as Outlaw. The dye is flammable and does not qualify for international shipments. See here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html

That's why I had to do the "amateur" ebonizing procedure using steel wool and vinegar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I don't imagine you can buy a fretboard complete with frets, unless it is attached to a neck.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Nope, but if you are going to try to remove a fretboard Fretting should not be problem.

Comment

Well the thing is, I doubt I'll be able to fret the board myself. I don't think I have the skills, supplies, or place to do something like that. Heating up, removing and gluing a new board already fretted and inlayed isn't as hard sounding as a re-fret and inlay work.

As for replacing the neck, as Newc suggested, that's even more work then a refret, yikes, going to have to say "no go" on that.

I don't want to save the rosewood board, frets or inlays. Who ever had this axe before me tried their hand at scalloping the whole fretboard and did a really shitty job of it. So that makes the board completely useless to me. The frets are in bad shape too, dead spots at the low E and A strings' 9th & 10th frets.

I wasn't doing this to just slap an ebony fretboard on for the hell of it. I just wanted my axe to sound good and be playable [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Quote by Outlaw: "gluing a new board already fretted and inlayed"

That is impossible. Did someone tell you that you could buy a fretboard already fretted and inlayed??? Where?
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

No one told me, that's why I was asking if such a place would do this for me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stew-Mac dye is a no-go for a Canadian such as Outlaw. The dye is flammable and does not qualify for international shipments. See here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html

That's why I had to do the "amateur" ebonizing procedure using steel wool and vinegar.

[/ QUOTE ]

That link isn't working bro, try this one:
                        Stew-Mac Black Stain
                        Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Quote by Outlaw: "gluing a new board already fretted and inlayed"

That is impossible. Did someone tell you that you could buy a fretboard already fretted and inlayed??? Where?

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Putting a board on when it's inlayed, and fretted is possable, and it's done every day at gibson. All there fret boards are inlayed, fretted, and bound before they are ever put on a guitar. The reason no one sells them ready to go it that fretboards are not a one size fits all kinda thing. each guitar has different specs, so the boards are never quite the same. You could always put on the new board, and have a repairman do the inlay, and frets for you, or just look into having the whole job done.

Comment

Why don't you just buy a new guitar?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Why don't you just buy a new guitar?

[/ QUOTE ]

The guitar has sentimental value. Plus I think it would be a great project guitar for a possible Outlaw signture line [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Alright, maybe I will try my hand at fretting and inlaying. I see Stew Mac has that vice grip looking fretting tool. I wonder if that would work with the upper frets on a neck thru? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                              Does any place sell a set of Shark Fin inlays like Stew Mac does with Stars and Diamonds?
                              How would I cut the "slots" out for the inlays to go into? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Thanks again for any help.

Comment

Working...
                              X