Guitars and Cold Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitars and Cold Weather

So I might be getting a guitar, but I'm scared for **** because of the weather.

it's getting cold around here. how safe are guitars and cold weather? The guitar is a jackson rr5.

Its comming from Minnesota and I live in Illinois.

Re: Guitars and Cold Weather

Uhm, I hate to point out geographical similarities, but since the guitar is coming for a climate generally colder than your own, I would not expect any problems. Humidity does play a factor, but in the worst scenario, you will most likely just need to give it a set up.

Hey do you still want that X2N?

Comment

Oh sorry man. I'll pass, sorry about the wait...

Thanks.

Comment

temperature changes only really affect tuning, unless it is a fast, drastic change. Humidity is more what you have to worry about as far as truss rod adjustments. I wouldn't be really concerned. After all, most guitars get shipped form Korea, China, Japan, etc. On boats, planes, trains and whatever through tons of different climates and still turn out ok.

Comment

so it woundn't cause the guitar to crack?

thanks

Comment

Maybe it would crack or whatever only if you're going from one temperature extreme to another - such as your front door in the middle of winter to the toasty warm interior of your house. Keep the guitar in the case so that it warms up gradually. I bought my Shannon Soloist in February from California and I live in Canada, so it travelled through a rather large temperature range in its journey. It arrived at my house in the late evening so it was pretty dang cold so I just left it alone to warm up while I finished my dinner. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] After that, I opened up the box and the case, and the guitar seemed fine.

Comment

I've had guitars left in below zero temp's and in a hot car in the summer (not by choice of course) and they always seemed fine. As a rule, I don't usually leave my guitars anywhere that I wouldn't be comfortable myself.

Comment

what NOTP said...leave it sitting in the case for an hour or whatever it takes to have it gradually adjust to the change in temp..I live in Norway, never had any problems other than tuning sometimes being slightly off, when going through temperature changes.

I also think humidity is a bigger factor than temperature changes, but like these guys said the worst case should be a truss rod adjustment. I think there's a lot of FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt) regarding these issues. A well built guitar (yes Jackson) won't crack on the middle unless perhaps you do a Jimi Hendrix move with it....

- Rune.

Comment

The biggest issue on a solidbody is the fretboard, since it's "naked". Especially ebony. I'd do a lemon oil (or whatever you choose to use) in preparation for winter, but don't sweat the shipping.

Comment

Working...
                  X