Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPERZEL Installation HELP!

Please help!

I have just gotten some Sperzel locking tuners. I have 5/16 holes in my headstock now, and I understand that the sperzels use a 10mm hole.

Problem is, I dont have a 10mm drill bit [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I was going to try a 11/32 drill, which looks about the same size as the fat part of the shaft of the tuner, and if thats not big enough, I was going to try a 3/8 size.

My question: will using a 11/32 or 3/8th size work? Or does it need to be exactly 10mm? I dont really want to go out and buy a drill bit, but I will if its really necessary. I just dont want to ruin my neck.

THANKS!

Re: SPERZEL Installation HELP!

I've used 3/8's with good results, but try the 11/32 first.

Comment

I love you.

Were you installing sperzels specifically?

I am sitting here, comparing the top nut to the 3/8" drill, and it looks to be the same size.

Any tips to avoid slaying my poor guitar? Thank you.

Comment

I drilled the first hole!

It wasn't so hard! It was easy! Im so relieved.

I started with just a slightly larger drill, and worked my way up slowly to the big one. Works fine, thank you Chuckracer!

Now, if my drill wasn't such a piece of crap. I got one hole done, and the battery is already dead. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh no.

The tuner isn't tall enough to through the headstock. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

What a bummer. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow! What kind of guitar is this?

Comment

Remember that Sperzels have that alignment pin - did you drill a hole for that? That might solve your height problem right there.

Comment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3..._full_body.jpg
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Pred_Body.jpg
                95 Peavey Predator (hey, dont laugh. Its my baby. I learned to play on it. It always feels good, always warm and fuzzy.)

Its got a DiMarzio Air Norton in the Neck, Fred in the bridge. The pickguard, hehe, is a warmoth. It was my "experimentation" pickguard, thats why it has 7 holes in it. I thought it looked great with the white, and I dont really mind the holes, they dont bother me, so I just left it.

Yes, Jimmy, I know about the alignment pin. I had the thing correctly mounted, its just that the headstock is a mm or 2 thicker than a strat, and the peg would come through the hole, but the string-through hole was just flush with the headstock. That simply wasn't going to work, so now it has some SCHALLER locking tuners on it, i took back the sperzel.

Thanks though. Im playing it right now, and everything is good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Cool, glad you were able to work something out. I see that your Peavey has a straight-pull headstock - were those the staggered height Sperzels?

Comment

Yeah.

I think all sperzels have staggered height (if you buy them the inline 6 package). Even the schallers are staggered height, 3 "low" ones, 3 "higher" ones. They were just slighly taller than the Sperzels, just tall enought to work.

BTW, For anyones info, a 3/8" drill is very very close to 10mm, its a hair (literally) smaller though.

Something thats bothering me, is that its not staying in tune really well (or at least it wasn't last night) I bought DR strings for it (10's, Pure Blues) I have never tried DR before, they seem to stretch alot, I stretched them when I put them on, and they go quickly out of wack when I moderatly yank the tremolo.

Has anyone else found DR strings to be stretchy?

Comment

Working...
                    X