can I use car wax on a guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I use car wax on a guitar?

Can I use car wax to make the body of my soloist shine? Will there be any large repercussions or anything? Thanks.

Zach
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: can I use car wax on a guitar?

well i've been doing it for years and haven't noticed any problems. so i guess it is okay. i like carnuba wax the best, but right now i am using meguiars cleaner/wax. it works well also. just use a soft clean rag to buff the body so you don't leave scracthes.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Just avoid paste wax. They contain abrasives, which can dull your finish.
      I use paste wax on unfinished Maple necks, but never on paint.

Comment

chuck forgot to mention that paste wax is also what he uses on his legs; it keeps him as smooth as the day is long!

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            chuck forgot to mention that paste wax is also what he uses on his legs; it keeps him as smooth as the day is long!

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

But the days are about to get shorter. What will he do then???
            Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

that quick mist and wipe stuff (I think Meguiar's makes it) is great for getting fingerprints and stuff off. I have never noticed that wax, whether it be for cars or guitars, makes much difference in the guitar. I do it every once in a while just as a preventive to wearing of the finish.

Comment

Thanks guys... etaeniura ... you have the coolest avatar ever! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                  The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Thanks guys... etaeniura ... you have the coolest avatar ever! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that mean this thread is closed? Dammit! I was just getting ready to chime in with my two cents. Oh well, I'll go find me another thread.
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

LOL - I'll chime in even though the thread appears finished: I'd find some 100% pure liquid carnuaba wax (Mother's makes a good one). It may not last quite as long as some of the other automotive waxes but it also doesn't contain any chemicals that cause it to "bond to the paint" as some waxes do thus there won't be any long-term negative consequences.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

www.zainobros.com

THE best stuff, for guitars or cars.

Pete

Comment

A clean, soft cloth and elbow grease is best. Martin guitar polish is said to have the least amount of abrasives out of the lot of choices in bottled guitar polish. Use a clearcoat polishing compound from a manufacturer like Blue Coat. These were suggested in a book called 'The complete guide to guitar/amp maintenance' on guitar repair by Ritchie Fliegler

Comment

> I use Meguiar's #26 High Tech Yellow Wax (paste) on my pool cues and guitar,and there are no abrasives in it period,if there were I'd be using something else. This is not cheap,usually about 15-16 bucks a can at AutoZone,but if all you use it for is your guitars,you'll never need another can unless your collection looks like Brett's. It works great on the fretboard too,especially after a good cleaning/lemon oiling. Another good product is the Mother's California Gold Pure Carnauba,but make absolutely sure it's the yellow stuff and not the pink,the pink stuff is a cleaner/wax and DOES have abrasives in it,having tested it on a pool cue of mine while spinning in a lathe it dulled the finish and had to use Meguiar's #7 to buff it back out. Most pool cues are clearcoated using typical auto clearcoats like Dupont Imron/Chromaclear or PPG Concept 2001,and have similar buffing/polishing qualities to guitar finishes. Tommy D.
                            "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Working...
                            X