Single coil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coil question

Im putting together a strat project using stuff I have laying around. Ive got a pickguard all wired and loaded with single coils. On the back of the pickup magnet each one has a letter stamped on it. 2 have an N on them and one has an S. I figured that the one was reversed for the middle pickup for hum cancelling. But, the way it is the 2 N pickups are in the neck and middle with the S in the bridge.This is wrong, right? I know someone messed with this setup once to remove the white plastic covers for that tuxedo look. So, Im thinking that they put them back in wrong. The wiring is plenty long enough to make that mistake. I just dont want to have to disassemble it again once Ive got it together. So, what do ya think, N in the bridge and neck with the S in the middle?

Re: Single coil question

Sounds OK to me if I follow you correctly. Before you put the guitar together, just wire up the pickguard and hook a cord to the jack and plug it in. Use the 5 way and see if there is any hum between neck/mid and br/mid.

Comment

sounds like they are labeled with N for North and S for south-the odd one goes in the middle if you want positions 2 and 4 to be humbucking

Comment

Yup, it worked out that way. Now I get that nice strat hum in 1,3 and 5. I guess the previous guy switched 2 of them when he took the covers off. Thanks.

Comment

that hum is a strange thing. There are a few tricks to minimize it though. Don't sit or stand facing your amp-be at a right angle to it (headstock pointing at the speaker or directly away from the speaker), turn off any flourescent lights, TV's and computer monitors-they are the major causes of interference. You can also shield the inside of the pickup covers with the stick on foil or the black paint. I love single coils for clean tones-so I don't get much noise, but I always use HB's for distorted tones becuae that buzz is just annoying!

Comment

On my strats I shield the pickup cavities with shielding tape and use a shield behind the pickguard. I also run wires from the ground to the shields. It helps a lot. I like the idea shielding the pickup covers. Never thought of it, but it sounds like something I would do.

Comment

I forget where I read about that-may have been one of Dan Erlewine's books, or in a tech column of one of the mags or something.

Comment

I love stuff like that.

Comment

Working...
                X