Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locking Nuts : Are they really required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking Nuts : Are they really required?

Well, Im planning a strat project with a non-recessed Floyd Rose trem for the bridge.

I dont like locking nuts, I would really rather not have one. If I had, say, A GRAPHITE nut, graphite string tee(s), and Planet Waves locking tuners, would it stay in tune as well as a locking nut?

Thanks!

Well, another question. Anyone have any of the Planet Waves Locking Tuners? They have a smooth 18:1 ratio, lock and actually CUT off the excess string, so no more searching for the wire cutters or destroying your scissors.

Re: Locking Nuts : Are they really required?

Nope. Well, maybe. It depends on what you want to do with the bar. If it's little wobbles and small dips and stuff, then with a careful set-up and the parts listed, and plenty of lube (nut sauce!), it should work ok.
    If you want to get aggressive with it, you need a lock nut.

Comment

If you dont like the lock nuts because you feel that they rob tone or something you could try a locking device that sits above the regular nut like on some of the jap fenders and some older charvels.

Comment

Yeah, Ive seen those.

Its not really a tone thing, I just dont like to mess with them, you have to use an allen wrench when they go out of tune.

Im debating whether or not to just drop the floyd idea and just go with a standard vintage strat tremolo.

Comment

locking nuts can bea drag, especially if youre into weird/multiple tunings or unless you have a bunch of guitars you can set up differently, but they are truly the only way to stay in perfect tune...top mount floyd nuts suck plain and simple, they do move and the tiny diameter, short screws that are used today allow that nut to wiggle and lift when you dive.......if you end up using a locknut, go old school and mount through the neck, .....I understand the reasoning behind the new style nut, but floyd simply ruined the original idea tuning advantages , to shut the "Im gonna break my headstock off goofs"....lock nuts do not rob sustain or make your tone any more brittle than the floyd bridge itself.......I have done work on pro player guitars as well as build for players where a floyd or floating trem was required , still they wanted NO locknut... a graphite nut will help over bone or micarta, though I prefer black delrin, some will argue that ,but thats my personal preference ...also without a locknut, locking tuners of some kind will be a must without .. no string winds is the key...... obviously a standard nut is a friction point , but having several winds on the tuner shaft slacking then quickly tightnening during dive and return "never fully returning to pitch is the big problem"..... if your beef with locknuts is simply a drop D issue, set up 2 guitars, cause any floating trem will go out of tune by dropping the low E string to do so anyway....if you have some other questions feel free to PM me and I'll help you further.......I have been doing floyd set up and install work since '82, and you likely dont need a repairman to set your guitar up, just some time to play around a bit,....hope that helps you a bit...

Comment

I've seen the sperzel setup work well depending on how much you beat the snot out of the bar. I myself prefer a lock nut. I've been using Floyd Rose since the eighties. I guess I'm just used to them.

Comment

It won't stay in tune without a lock nut. Period.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with John here. Don't listen to all that other rubbish. If you are going to use a locking trem, a locking nut is a must. PERIOD!!!
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with John here. Don't listen to all that other rubbish. If you are going to use a locking trem, a locking nut is a must. PERIOD!!!

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] It will stay in tune without a lock nut. All you need is a good lubricated nut, a set of locking tuners like Sperzels, Schallers, Planet Waves, etc., and make sure you properly stretch your strings. Carvin's standard setup with recessed, floating Floyds is to have a graphite nut with Sperzels, but a lock nut is an option for a few extra dollars. Plenty of people on the Carvin board have said their guitars stay in tune just as well without the locking nut. My next project guitar will have a Floyd with Schallers and no locking nut. I also like to do the Drop-D thing once in awhile, so I'll either have the Floyd on the body or blocked so it can only do divebombs. Though, I'll also use it floating once in awhile without fear of going out of tune. I think it's rubbish to say you need the locking nut, period.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I bet I can make it go out of tune without a locknut no matter what else is used. I tried a guitar with sperzels and it stayed in tune pretty good until I beat the bar and the string slipped out of the nut slot. I was very proud! LOL!

Comment

The most stable setup available w/o a locking nut consists of a good set of locking tuners, a roller nut, & a tremsetter. It's still not as good as a locking nut but is way better than anything else I've tried.
                      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

When I do make this monster, I think I have decided on the Planet Waves locking tuners, they are the only locking tuners with an 18:1 ratio (that I know of), and hey; a bonus string cutter!

I will have a Graphite nut for sure, and If I decide i need a locking mechanism, I can get one of the behind the nut deals from www.allparts.com or somewhere else.

Gracias mucho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Locking nut all the way - According to one recent(ish) catalogue, it appears that Jackson made some KV2s with Floyds and no lock-nut.....unless they were photoshopped or something.
                          Popular is not the same as good
                          Rare is not the same as valuable
                          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I do agree with what many have said here... experimentation and taking the time to make sure the nut is cut properly ,especially that proper string slot to post angle is achieved.....but I would strongly recommend if you do decide to get a nut, that you NOT get something behind the standard nut,, ..you are then creating another point for the strings to bind and it will definately NOT stay in tune..... the original kahler nuts, the jackson jt-6 locknuts and any of that design are the worst thing in trem history...they were a comercial compromise to the floyd patents and in my opinion never worked as intended...if youre gonna lock strings up, go floyd nut..
                            john

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I do agree with what many have said here... experimentation and taking the time to make sure the nut is cut properly ,especially that proper string slot to post angle is achieved.....but I would strongly recommend if you do decide to get a nut, that you NOT get something behind the standard nut,, ..you are then creating another point for the strings to bind and it will definately NOT stay in tune..... the original kahler nuts, the jackson jt-6 locknuts and any of that design are the worst thing in trem history...they were a comercial compromise to the floyd patents and in my opinion never worked as intended...if youre gonna lock strings up, go floyd nut..
                              john

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">I have to agree with John here (Peedenmark). While I haven't had "a lot" of trouble with the behind the nut stringlock, you just can't beat a floyd nut lock. They are extremely dependable if it's a true floyd nut. Some of the copies of these are very unreliable and the threads can strip and screw heads break off when tightening(yes, I know I don't have to tighten those very hard, believe me, I wasn't [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]). </font>
                              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                              X