Lacquer drying time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacquer drying time?

I just finished putting the last clear coat of lacquer on my FrankenStrat, over a stain job. How long should I let the lacquer cure before I do a final wetsand/ buff out?

Re: Lacquer drying time?

Depends on the brand/type of laquer and how many coats you put on it.One good way to tell is to leave it be for a few weeks then smell it up close,when it stops smelling like laquer you should be ok to wetsand.

Comment

Excellent advise Evol! Generally about 4 weeks is enough unless you piled it on there extra thick! If I'm painting an old car with lacquer I'll generally use two medium-dry coats of base color (or until hide) wait about a week, then lay on 6 to 8 medium-wet coats of clear. As long as the temp is 65 degrees or above and the humidity is 60% or less, it's ready to cut and buff in about 4 weeks. I use a med/fast thinner for the base color and the slow stuff for the clear.
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

not fast enough [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          not fast enough [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that bro. Urethanes rule! Paint it today, buff it tommorow!

Comment

Urethanes?? Are there different types? Because the last project I did (a winter camo) I clearcoated with polyurethane. And while it did give me a nice clearcoat, it tinted the white paint to an amber-ish/yellowed shade.

Comment

If you were using rattle can urethane it probably did yellow it. It'll probably peel right off too, at least some brands do. The polys I'm referring to are the two-part catylized clears.

Comment

Lacquer does take 2-4 weeks to dry, but when it's done it's a better sounding finish than the urethane. It's worth the extra time.

Comment

You must be one of those guys who play their electric guitar un-plugged!
                  I'll take the durability of a urethane finish and sacrifice the virtually inaudible difference in tone any day. Now if we were talking about an acoustic guitar I'd agree totally. In that case a thick coat of urethane will deaden the soundboard.

Comment

To each his own, but the difference between a good guitar and a great one is a thousand small improvments not one big one.

Comment

I leave urethane to dry for 2-3 days before buffing it.

Comment

Working...
                      X