String Brands??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Brands??

I think we've covered what gauges everyone uses. So what brand are you partial to? I've been playing D'addario for several years. I just picked up some Knucklehead Short Bus' for my 7 string. Haven't tried them yet though. So, whadda ya like?

Re: String Brands??

D'Addario XL.009 for me on all my guitars.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

elixir for my ovation and brian moore, ernie ball for everything else
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Why is this post in the Tech section? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Why is this post in the Tech section? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          I guess I stuck it here for lack of a better spot. Where should it go? Strings could be somewhat technical....I think.

Comment

I guess it would be technical if you asked something like, "Why do my strings get rusty easily?" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Should go in the Non J/C Related section. [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]

Comment

It could go either here or the Non section... and it's been posted a few times before. How do I know? Because Toejam would have answered "Carvin strings, they're just GHS Boomers in Carvin packaging, sold inexpensively". [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That's how much I pay attention to this board... when I start memorizing the strings that other people use. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's an easy question.

Comment

LMAO! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

D'addario 9's or 10's, Gibson Ace Frehley Sig. sets (9-46) and my new favorites for acoustic are the Elixirs-not sure if they are the polyweb or nanoweb, but they last forever-They have been on my guitar for a few months and are still shiny and bright sounding!

Comment

my opinion:

Dean Markley's sound the best and have the most tension
                    (hex core nickle plated steel wrap) "signiture series"

DR's feel the best under my fingers - less tension for easier bends (round core nickleplated steel wrap) "Tite Fit"

GHS Boomers's are the brand i use the most. good middle ground between the 2 above. (round core) sound better than DR's and play easier and have less tension than Dean Markley's

D'addario - can't F-ing stand them. to me they feel horrible, break way too easy, and sound worse than all 3 above. if you love them, try Dean Markley's for a bit. and you'll want to make the permenant switch. (d'addario's are also a hex core with nickleplated steel wrap)

elixers (electric) waste of money. why? because strings are made of metal, that metal is stretched to tension of the note desired and can only hold their tone for a period of 1 week or less at that tension. wrapping them in Gortex does not change the charecteristics of stretched metal. all it does is keep them from oxidizing (rusting) as quickly.

here's a bad exaple. for those of you with long hair:
                    before you put on a hair band in the morning, notice the diamiter of the band, and the tension of it when you pull on it. take it off at the end of the day and notice that the diamiter is larger, and it has less tension when you pull on it. (its all streched out)

the same thing happens with strings. after they've been stretched for about a week, their tone life is over. all your crisp highs and deep lows are gone. another reason so many bands sound like ass is cause they set there amp tone with dead strings. then they get to the gig and they go "i don't understand, it sounded great last night. i even changed my strings today and it sounds worse."

take it for what its worth to ya. and if you don't beleive that a strings tone life is only for a week, try recording your guitar after a string change. a week later record the same thing with the same settings and listed to the difference.

anyway. enough of my rantings. [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I agree with you about the Elixers...basically Gore just buys the cheapest **** strings they can get and spray them with their special coating.

Comment

I use Webstrings. Buy em in bulk, they are cheap and to me they sound and feel just like Ernie Balls.
                        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

dean markleys are cheap and sound good. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                          Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                          Amp... Pioneer
                          Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

D'addario - can't F-ing stand them. to me they feel horrible, break way too easy, and sound worse than all 3 above.

Wow....This is exactly what I've always thought. Never had good experience with D'addario. I had wondered if it was all in my head, though.
                            I've always liked Dean Markley.....although I've been using Ernie Ball the last couple of years. I won a bunch of sets of them in a contest & stuck with them.

Comment

If you can stand giving Musician's Fiend your business, their brand of strings are $1.99 per pack.

Comment

Working...
                              X